SPARCstation 20 emulator running on Linux

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Marco Wang, Feb 14, 2012.

  1. Marco Wang

    ChrisQ Guest

    Of course, you are right, if it sounds dodgy, then it often is.
    The ebay vendors (uk) were just selling unused media kits, which is
    I think legal. I'm quite happy to buy a copy of the media kit for
    what is an obsolete os, but not until I have evaluated the sunscreen
    firewall app, the object of the exercise. This used to be a separate
    and expensive product, with a lite version shipped free with Solaris
    8, but sun gave the whole thing away with solaris 9.

    Sometimes we are in a hurry, etc :). What to do about orphaned os's
    and applications, where there is no longer a mechanism for licensing
    or getting media kits from the original vendor ?. Similar question in
    one of the dec newsgroups recently about running rt11 or rsx on old
    pdp11 hardware. Dec sold the os's to a third party years ago and they
    subsequently closed down, so how to stay within the law ?...

    Regards,

    Chris

    ChrisQ, Feb 16, 2012

  2. Marco Wang

    Thad Floryan Guest

    Hmmm, it can perhaps be done. I've used PDP-10s since the 1960s even
    before I joined Tymshare in 1967, and DECsystem-20s until the mid
    1990s (last one being a 2020 after many 2060s).

    A longtime acquaintance, Mark Crispin, has a "cloned" TOPS-20 system
    running:

    <http://www.dutchtronix.com/DEC-TOPS-20.htm>
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Crispin>

    Heh, Mark had two DEC-2020 in his home in Mountain View CA last time
    I visited him; he's since moved away from Silicon Valley:

    <http://panda.com/mrc/>

    I've written 1000s of programs (mostly in assembly language for that
    platform, later using C with a compiler from SRI) and it'd be interesting
    to see if they'd function in the TOPS-20 emulator. Point being: Mark and
    friends seem to have not encountered any legal encumbrances with their
    endeavor. I don't know if the same would be true with what we're discussing
    in this thread regarding Solaris 9 -- I am not a lawyer. :)

    Thad Floryan, Feb 17, 2012

  3. Marco Wang

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    [ ... ]
    Note that Solaris 10 comes with "ipf", which is also a firewall
    building product.

    And, as others have said -- pre Oracle, Sun allowed free
    downloads of Solaris 10 for evaluation purposes, with a question on how
    many systems you wanted to use it on, and no time restrictions. And, at
    times, they would send you for free a set of three DVDs and one CD. Two
    of the DVDs were Solaris 10 for UltraSPARC and for x86 platforms, a
    third was the compiler suite and IDE (for both platforms), and the
    CD-ROM was the "Software Companion" (pre-compiled open source packages
    for both platforms).
    Understood. It is difficult. Getting manufacturer supplied
    media kits is the best bet. The free download versions of Solaris 10 is
    the next best. (When downloading, you could download one DVD .iso, or
    five CD-ROM .iso files to burn your own DVDs or CD-ROMs. If it is *you*
    who filled out the form on Sun's site, you are fine. If someone else
    did it, you are in more questionable territory. And if it from some
    sites, I would never allow the code to run on my hardware for fear of
    embedded malware.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    DoN. Nichols, Feb 17, 2012
  4. Marco Wang

    emamm

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hello

    Could someone tell how to install Solaris 7.0 on the emulator? I still have the original cds.

    Many thanks

    Ed

    emamm, Apr 10, 2012