SPARCstation 20 only recognizes 2 of 4 CPUs

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Andreas Wiese, Jun 21, 2007.

  1. Hello.

    I've got an old SPARCstation 20 with two dual-CPU boards (390Z55), that
    only detects one CPU per board. When powering it on, the banner shows

    SPARCstation 20 MP (2 X 390Z55), Keyboard Present
    ROM Rev. 2.19, 128 MB memory installed, Serial #XXXXXXX.
    Ethernet address 8:0:20:XX:XX:XX, Host ID: XXXXXXXX.

    module-info says

    <#0> ok module-info
    MBus : 50 MHz
    SBus : 25 MHz
    CPU#0 : 60 MHz SuperSPARC / SuperCache
    CPU#2 : 60 MHz SuperSPARC / SuperCache
    <#0> ok

    Wikipedia says, the SS20 needs 'updated firmware' for being capable of
    using four CPUs, but further investigation suggests that the minimal
    revision for using four CPUs is 2.10.

    I've got an Firmware-Image with rev. 2.25r here and am planning to flash
    the EEPROM with it when getting adequate equipment for doing this task
    (BTW: is there another way for updating the firmware than taking out the
    EEPROM, flashing it with a flash device and installing it again? Does
    this way work at all?)

    After reading that 2.10 should do the job, I'm not actually sure if it's
    worth the effort or if my dear SS20 has another problem...

    Any suggestions?

    HAND & LG -- aw
    np: paniq (better tomorrow) -- 01. better tomorrow

    Andreas Wiese, Jun 21, 2007

  2. Andreas Wiese

    Rich Teer Guest

    You should upgrade your firmware anyway, but I think that you don't
    atually have a problem. One chip on each of those boards is the CPU,
    and the other is the cache. So you do have the correct number of CPUs. :)

    HTH,

    --
    Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, OGB member

    CEO,
    My Online Home Inventory

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
    URLs: http://www.rite-group.com/rich
    http://www.myonlinehomeinventory.com

    Rich Teer, Jun 22, 2007

  3. Andreas Wiese

    Sunny Guest

    IIRC, when you install two double-wide CPU boards in an SS20 one board
    is CPU#0 & CPU#2 and the other is CPU#1 & CPU#3 - so I think your
    problem is one CPU board not detected at all as opposed to one CPU per
    board detected.

    Try one CPU board at a time.

    Sunny

    Sunny, Jun 22, 2007
  4. Rich Teer dixit:
    What the...?! Hm, okay, after inspecting the boards again, even I
    notice that 'SuperSPARC' is only written onto one chip. I didn't expect
    such a big cache-chip.

    Makes me sad a little bit. But thanks a lot ;)

    HAND & LG -- aw
    np: Yann Tiersen (Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain) --
    04. Comptine d'un autre été: L'après-midi
    --
    Freier Wille: Vermutlich Einbildung, um nicht zu verzweifeln.
    -- Janosch / »Wörterbuch der Lebenskunst(-griffe)«

    Andreas Wiese, Jun 22, 2007
  5. thats not right "Sunny"

    60mhz were not in dual modules availble only 50mhz dual modules or
    hypersparc

    the system fires up right!

    best regards David

    David Reichelt, Jun 22, 2007
  6. Are you sure they are dual CPU boards?

    Dual CPU boards are Dual width, IIRC, typical single CPU boards
    have two cooling towers on top of two large chips: one for the CPU and
    one for the "SuperCACHE".
    2.25r is specifically for Ross HyperSPARC CPUs.

    What's the 501-xxxx part number (small sticker, 501-xxxx-rr)

    My old system handbook does not appear to list a 2 CPU 60MHz module
    (only 50MHz)

    Casper

    Casper H.S. Dik, Jun 22, 2007
  7. Andreas Wiese

    Dave Guest

    I think you will find the original firmware is in a OTPROM, but not an
    EPROM. By this I mean it it *one* time programmable. EPROMS cost more
    than OTPROMs and I don't think Sun put EPROMS in there - of course
    someone else might have added one. But personally I would not risk it,
    but buy a new device - an ERROM is not expensive. (They are available
    from both RS and Farnel in the UK - I can't speak for other countries).
    Casper thinks the devices are not dual CPUs. Experience suggest Casper
    is almost always right (I can probably remove 'almost'), so if he thinks
    they are not duals, then they are not.

    I've got 5 SS20's here, but whilst I think they were a great machine in
    their time, I would question whether its worth spending money on one,
    given the price of things like an Ultra 60.

    If you live in the UK, and want to pick one up, make a cheque for a
    fiver payable to the RSPB or RSPCA, and you take an SS20 away form my
    home in Essex.

    Dave, Jun 22, 2007
  8. Hi,

    Which is correct, only two CPU it should be I have one myself :)
    I think I have a 2.22 in my system but since yours starts it should be fine.

    Just some sidenotes, the OPENBOOT memory is a EPROM and EPROMs can
    not(normally) be programmed in the system since you need to bump up the
    voltage in order to program them, and you are not flashing EPROMs you
    are programming/burning them flashing is for FLASH memorys ;)

    /michael

    Michael Laajanen, Jun 24, 2007