Spectacular power supply failures in In Win micro cases.

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by Baelzar, Apr 25, 2004.

  1. Baelzar

    Baelzar Guest

    Last July I ordered 11 systems built for the company I work for.

    Specs:
    Case: In Win CA-BT553
    Motherboard: MSI MS-6378 v3
    Processor: Athlon Thunderbird 1.1Ghz
    Hard Drive: Maxtor 30GB

    Within the last month, at least (I have actually lost track) six of the
    power supplies have failed spectacularly; most of the hard drives in the
    same systems failed either instantly or within a few hours afterwards. Much
    of the data backups on these drives were cross-pollenated on other network
    drives, some of which failed _within hours_ of each other. I have lost
    company data. This does not put me in good stead with my co-workers, nor my
    boss.

    I fully expect the remaining systems to pull the same failures, and am
    rotating them in for new power supplies as quickly as possible.

    I just wrote an email to In Win asking that these cases be replaced by
    mini-towers. The shop I purchased from has offered to warranty the labor to
    rebuild the systems into these new cases, assuming In Win cooperates. They
    seem to have a good reputation outside of my experience, so I hope they will
    see reason. I have no confidence in the CA-BT553, new power supply or not.

    At this point, I have tweety birds flying around my head. The amount of
    time and frustration this has cost me has brought me to a new level of
    critical mass; one I haven't experienced before.

    What would you do in my place?

    Baelzar, Apr 25, 2004

  2. Start looking for a new job.........maybe?????

    --
    callsignviper

    The truth is out there. You just have to look in the right places and ask
    the right questions.

    callsignviper, Apr 25, 2004

  3. Baelzar

    Wes Newell Guest

    Well, I can see why they'd be upset. But you have no one to blame but
    yourself, maybe partially the system builder, or your boss if he new you
    didn't know what you were doing. I'll leave comments about old cpu's,
    HD's. etc. to others and just focus on the obvious reason the units
    failed, and your rightly concern that the others will also, as I'm sure
    they will. Your downfall was the case and PS. The case comes with only a
    180W PSU. So what did you expect to happen when minimum requirements for
    the system was 300W? You may have gotten by with a 250W, but 180W is
    really pushing the luck as you found out.
    A wise move.:)
    Well, some blame should be put on the shop that built them, but none
    should be put on InWin. There was probably nothing wrong with the cases if
    used properly. The shop that built them is another story. They should have
    known the power requirements of the systems they built even if you
    didn't. So unless you were told that these case/PSU combos wouldn't
    support the system you wanted built into them, then it's partially their
    fault for building them. Now if you insisted on these cases, that's
    another story.
    Not knowing all the facts, I couldn't say.

    Wes Newell, Apr 25, 2004
  4. Baelzar

    rstlne Guest

    Change Professions..
    But seriously..
    If you were working for me I would replace you first and the units second..

    You went on the cheap for something important.. If you put in a LOT of
    research then maybee I can say okay..
    MSI Had faulty cap issues on ALL of their motherboards about 2 years back
    (and some boards you buy now still have the problems so says some). The
    company did love you a year ago.. But was the down time really worth the
    5-600 saved

    rstlne, Apr 25, 2004
  5. Baelzar

    Ben Pope Guest

    Who chose the case?
    Who specced the rest of the system?
    It seems you were particularly unlucky if many of these PSUs died within
    hours of each other - I would suspect an external event is to blame, it just
    seems too unlikely otherwise. Maybe a power spike or something, but thats
    why you should not run machines which hold backups straight off the mains
    supply.
    It's not going to be InWins fault that the PSUs failed if they were run out
    of spec, which, judging by others comments, seems to be the case.
    Thats kind of them.
    Determine where fault lies with respect to the hardware failures. If it is
    the system builder then they are already going to do what they can, replace
    the PSUs free of charge. With respect to the hard drives... if it is the
    PSU knocking them out, then you may, although pretty unlikely, be able to
    hold InWin responsible, PSUs shouldn't really take out other components even
    if run out of spec. Seems like you'll have to put it down to poor judgement
    on behalf of the person that specced the system, if it is the system builder
    then you could ask them to meet you half way on the cost of supply and fir
    of the hardware - software (including OS) is up to you.

    Nobody is to blame for the data loss... it is up to the system administrator
    or whoever is appointed chief of backups to come up with a solution that is
    appropriate. Learn from it, if you are given a second chance.

    Good luck.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Apr 25, 2004
  6. Baelzar

    S.Heenan Guest

    Baelzar wrote:
    180W power supply Not great
    Likely brownouts, placing a heavy load on the PSU. When it fails, it takes
    out devices on the +12V rail.
    Buy good quality 350W power supplies or better, if you plan to upgrade these
    machines.

    S.Heenan, Apr 27, 2004