Speech option disappears from Tablet PC Input Panel

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by Graham, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. Graham

    Graham Guest

    Although speech in control works fine and I can
    successfully retrain the speech engine from there, I
    can't use it in anger, because the option for speach has
    disppeared from the Tablet PC Input Panel. When I click
    on Tools, Options, there is a blank tab next
    between "Writing Tools" and "Advanced". Clicking on the
    blank tab brings up a blank pane.

    Meanwhile, clicking on Tools, Speech in MS Word has no
    obvious result.

    Searching microsoft.com gave only the suggestion that I
    try "reinstall the SAPI component from the original
    source or CD", but, for this PC (a TC 1000), I only
    have "System Recovery CDs".

    Does anyone have any suggestions?

    (PS I felt very retro as I had to type this rather than
    using speech!)

    Graham, Jul 10, 2003

  2. Hi Graham,

    Could you try the steps listed in this KB article to see if it resolves your
    problem?

    331900 The Send Button Appears Blank in Tablet PC Input Panel
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=331900

    If this doesn't resolve your problem, please let us know.

    Thanks!

    --Sears Young

    Sears Young [MS], Jul 10, 2003

  3. Graham

    Graham Guest

    Yes, yes, yes.

    That fixed it even though the problem referred to in the
    knowledge base is a different one. I am having to
    retrain, but what's wrong with re-reading Aesop and the
    others? In case it helps anyone, all the relevant
    services seemed to be installed.

    Many thanks indeed,

    Graham

    Graham, Jul 11, 2003
  4. Thanks for the verification Graham.

    FYI, I submitted a change request to include the missing Speech option as
    one of the symptoms listed in the article.

    Thanks!

    --Sears Young

    Sears Young [MS], Jul 11, 2003