Speech recognition in lieu of lab assistant?

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Roberto Waltman, Jan 31, 2007.

  1. I'm currently busy writing a series of small test programs to exercise
    and debug the hardware of a new product under development.

    Running the programs requires me to frequently bother one of my
    colleagues to hold oscilloscope probes in particular places in the
    board being tested, (vias or pins on surface mounted devices, not test
    points where something could be attched easily), while I type a few
    commands, glance at the scope, type some more, ask him to move the
    probes somewhere else, etc.

    I wonder how difficult would be to add a speech recognition program so
    I could do all this by myself. The "understanding" requirements would
    be quite simple: identify one particular choice from a small
    pre-defined list of options. (Either what test program to run or what
    function inside a particular program).

    Easy or long winged research project? The platform is Linux. (Ubuntu
    at this time)

    Any (non NULL) pointers appreciated,

    Roberto Waltman

    [ Please reply to the group,
    return address is invalid ]

    Roberto Waltman, Jan 31, 2007

  2. Look up 'perlbox voice'
    It uses sphinx2-continuous speech recognizer, and does not need 'training'.
    Do you have to crosspost to half the universe?

    Jan Panteltje, Jan 31, 2007

  3. As I understand it, you write some test program yourself, and I assume you
    run them from a shell since you said "... while I type a few commands ...".

    My question is then, why not write a short shell script that will run the
    commands with an appropriate delay between them? You mentioned that it
    will only be a short list of options, which again point to using a shell
    script.

    You did not mention if you have considered shell scripting, so I would
    just through in my 10 cents...

    /Mike

    Mikael W. Bertelsen, Feb 12, 2007
  4. Roberto Waltman

    larwe Guest

    Sounds like a foot switch would solve all your problems.

    larwe, Feb 13, 2007
  5. Roberto Waltman

    cs_posting Guest

    Learn to use the nose and big toe that the good lord gave you.

    Come on, everyone knows ctrl-alt-faceplant.

    And if you can't get your toe on the scope's single-shot aquire
    button, get yourself to yoga class.

    cs_posting, Feb 13, 2007
  6. And "Mikael W. Bertelsen" wrote
    Thanks but nope, (to both Mikael and Lewin.) When I wrote that post,
    we were at the early stages of testing a few new boards still warm
    from the reflow oven, and the choice of what test to run, and what
    parameters to provide, was driven by the good or bad results from the
    previous tests, going as far as writing new tests on the fly to
    clarify some puzzling results.

    Most of the tests were shell scripts driving simple program that
    provide access to physical memory and CPU control registers from
    userland Linux programs. The purpose was not only to verify
    functionality, but also find errors in a new design. (And we did ...)

    There was nothing deterministic enough that I could just insert delays
    at predefined spots. And it goes without saying that the centerpiece
    of the design was a BGA package that provided no convenient attachment
    points for oscilloscope probes, so help was required.

    That was always plan 'B' ... ;)

    Things are more calm now, and I am moving into some automated testing
    of a now known-good circuitry. I did not try the speech recognition
    package that Jan recommended, but I'll do it soon to be ready for the
    next time I need to use seven hands simultaneously.

    Thanks for the suggestions,

    Roberto Waltman

    [ Please reply to the group,
    return address is invalid ]