    solution, it needs to be able to recognise commands
    preferably without voice training of around 30 words.

    Phil

    Phil, Feb 15, 2004

  2. Phil

    Rich Webb Guest

    I suspect that "low cost" and "without training" may be mutually
    exclusive.

    You might want to check over on the comp.dsp group.

    Rich Webb, Feb 15, 2004

  3. Phil

    Phil Guest

    "Rich Webb" wrote
    I suspect you are right :(
    checked it and left, thanks anyway. The best I can find
    is Sensory Inc RSC 4128 was hoping someone here
    might know an alternative.

    Phil

    Phil, Feb 15, 2004
  4. Phil

    Leon Heller Guest

    30 words *with* training is quite easy with a low-cost system, using a
    bank of band-pass filters. We were doing it on early machines like the
    TRS-80 25 years ago with add-on hardware. It could be done on a
    single-chip MCU now, using DSP.

    Leon

    Leon Heller, Feb 15, 2004
  5. Phil

    Rick Merrill Guest

    "low cost" is relative - you'll have to define
    what that means ( or buy a macintosh :) ). - RM

    Rick Merrill, Feb 15, 2004
  6. Phil

    Rich Webb Guest

    And before that, there was the "Housemaster" (IIRC) add-in board for
    Digital Group Z80 systems. Had voice control of several relays but it
    did require training.

    One nifty aspect was that you could see the received pattern as it ran
    as well as after it was stored. It only sampled in two bands but it
    actually worked pretty well.

    Rich Webb, Feb 15, 2004
  7. Freeware, of course with source,
    and it has to run on a PIC or AVR, right ?

    Rene

    Rene Tschaggelar, Feb 15, 2004
  8. Phil

    Andrew Guest

    TinyVoice, Circuit Cellar, Feb 1998. A motorola microcontroller system,
    with full assembler source code.
    http://www.circuitcellar.com/pastissues/articles/Stewart91/Stewart-91.pdf

    Andrew, Feb 15, 2004
  9. I've played with the Sensory Voice Extreme kit a bit,
    and it works not too bad. You really should consider
    using training though, or else your accuracy will not be
    very high.

    Sensory requires that you have them build the recognition
    files for speaker independant recognition, which is a bit
    of a pain. But, it is easy to use in training mode.

    Mike Anton

    Michael Anton, Feb 16, 2004
  10. Phil

    Vic Guest

    Hello Phil,
    i hope some interest for you is device SpeechBox, it's mine release of
    Sakrament.SpeechRecognition Engine for TMS...5402, www.sakrament.com.
    Program is ANSY C, it's possible to deliver as file '.obj' for you
    processor.
    2 models are released: HMM with teaching on PC & 'dinamical
    programming' with teaching one time pass for each word, the last has
    more high probability of error.
    It's without teaching (for microprocessor's system) HMM for phonems
    recognition, speed & safety are low.

    Vic, Feb 17, 2004
  11. I read this article a while ago and found it very interesting.

    Basically the author band-passes the speech data so only the two most common
    frequencies (found in all speech) get through. Then he converts to a TTL
    signal straight in to the IO pin of a low-cost micro.

    I just have one question: Has anyone tried it and does it work?

    Or is that two questions.

    Regards,

    Geoffrey Swales.
    BioDigital Ltd.
    http://www.biodigital-ltd.com

    Geoffrey Swales, Mar 5, 2004
  12. Three, actually ;) My experience, as an end user, with voice control
    is that it works quite nicely if the device only needs to recognize
    a few different commands. I now have this voice controlled remote
    for my TV set. (InVoca). It doesn't have a Pentium4 inside, of course.

    Works okay when trained with a few commands, but when you add
    more, it starts to make mistakes or does not respond at all.

    Frank Bemelman, Mar 5, 2004