Speech synthesis in languages other than English?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by kj, Nov 29, 2007.

  1. kj

    kj Guest

    Hi. Can the OS X Speech Synthesis Manager handle languages other
    than English? If so, where exactly can one set the language?

    I'd prefer to keep my general system (Finder, menus, dialogs, etc.)
    in one language, and limit the use of the second language only to
    speech synthesis stuff. Therefore, it would be great if it were
    possible to set the language used for speech synthesis separately
    from the language used by the rest of the system. Is this possible?
    If this is not possible, then second best would be a way to set
    the speech synthesis language that is quick and does not require
    restarting the machine, so I can quickly toggle between the two
    languages.

    In case it matters, I'm only interested in speech synthesis through
    the command-line utility "say", but I was not able to find the
    answers to these questions in the man page for say.

    Any information on these matters would be much appreciated.

    TIA!

    kj

    kj, Nov 29, 2007

  2. kj

    Simon Slavin Guest

    The language is set by the 'voice' you choose. A lot of the information
    in the voice is about how to take apart little sequences of letters in the
    word and find a sound that fits them. A voice designed for speaking
    English would be useless for, say, German.

    I seem to remember Apple had a voice or two for speaking Spanish, but
    English and Spanish are the only two languages I remember seeing.

    Simon.

    Simon Slavin, Dec 2, 2007