    Has anyone compared the speed (or at least the impression of speed)
    between a 13" MBP and a roughly equivalent MBA? I'd think the SSD in the
    Air would help compensate for the slower processor clock.

    Ron, Apr 3, 2014

  2. Ron

    Alan Browne Guest

    OTOH, some MBA's share video memory with graphics meaning less memory
    for the system and shared clocks.

    (I don't have an answer for you - we have an MBA and an MBP here (13 and
    15") but the MBP is "higher spec'd" with a faster CPU and more memory -
    it outshines the MBA. But the MBA is MUCH nicer to travel with if you
    just need web access and a few basic apps (Word,Excel, Powerpoint and so
    on)).

    Alan Browne, Apr 3, 2014

  3. Ron

    Davoud Guest

    Ron:
    Questions about speed are meaningless if you don't say what you want to
    do with the machine. It's like asking what car you should buy without
    specifying the use. Heavy lifting? Dodge RAM Diesel. Cruising? Miata.
    If you plan to run Avid or Premiere, you're going to want the MBP with
    SSD and maximum ram. Ditto still-image processing if you are working
    with multi-layer TIFFs from a professional DSLR, which are >500MB in
    size.

    For general purposes an accurate description of the speed of the MBA is
    "more than adequate," especially with maxed-out RAM.

    Davoud, Apr 3, 2014