Speedfan - has anyone used this with K8neo2 platinum

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Beemer, Jul 6, 2005.

  1. Beemer

    Beemer Guest

    Beemer, Jul 6, 2005

  2. Beemer

    Folk Guest

    I don't know about Speedfan, but if you're interested in controlling
    your CPU fan speed you should try the built-in "Smart CPU Fan Target"
    that's in the H/W Monitor section of the bios. It works very well,
    although you need to be on at least the 1.7 version of the bios for it
    to work properly. I would recommend going to the 1.8 version since
    that version fixed a bug with the CPU temp being reported incorrectly.

    I have my fan speed target set to 50, and since my system almost never
    reaches that temp, the fan speed stays at a nice 3300 or so RPM...
    very quiet (stock fan that comes with the boxed AMD processors). I
    tried the Cool n Quiet thingy but wasn't really impressed. The only
    thing it bought me was a slower speed on the Northbridge fan, but that
    fan is pretty quiet anyway so I decided to just use the Smart CPU Fan
    Target instead.

    Folk, Jul 6, 2005

  3. Beemer

    Beemer Guest

    | >Will there be a conflict if I try to use Speedfan with Cooln'quiet or as
    an
    | >alternative to?
    | >
    | >http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
    | >
    | >Beemer
    |
    | I don't know about Speedfan, but if you're interested in controlling
    | your CPU fan speed you should try the built-in "Smart CPU Fan Target"
    | that's in the H/W Monitor section of the bios. It works very well,
    | although you need to be on at least the 1.7 version of the bios for it
    | to work properly. I would recommend going to the 1.8 version since
    | that version fixed a bug with the CPU temp being reported incorrectly.
    |
    | I have my fan speed target set to 50, and since my system almost never
    | reaches that temp, the fan speed stays at a nice 3300 or so RPM...
    | very quiet (stock fan that comes with the boxed AMD processors). I
    | tried the Cool n Quiet thingy but wasn't really impressed. The only
    | thing it bought me was a slower speed on the Northbridge fan, but that
    | fan is pretty quiet anyway so I decided to just use the Smart CPU Fan
    | Target instead.

    Folk, I am already using "Smart CPU Fan Target" set to 50 also with 5deg
    margin. I do use CNQ and it works perfectly as long as you have Power
    saving set to minimum and of course have the amdcpu.exe installed. However
    with the cover on I am never sure which fan is making the excess noise. All
    fan monitors I have tried report at least one fan running at 150,000rpm
    clearlyh a bug somewhere
    !
    Beemer

    Beemer, Jul 7, 2005
  4. Beemer

    Folk Guest

    150,000. That's fast. ;-)

    If you are still having noise after using C n Q and the Smart Fan
    Target thingy, then my guess would be a vid card fan. There's only so
    many fans to check... try isolating to a particular fan by using a
    pencil eraser to stop each fan one by one until you find the one
    that's causing the problem.

    Folk, Jul 7, 2005
  5. Beemer

    Beemer Guest

    | >| >|
    | >an

    | >|
    | >| I don't know about Speedfan, but if you're interested in controlling
    | >| your CPU fan speed you should try the built-in "Smart CPU Fan Target"
    | >| that's in the H/W Monitor section of the bios. It works very well,
    | >| although you need to be on at least the 1.7 version of the bios for it
    | >| to work properly. I would recommend going to the 1.8 version since
    | >| that version fixed a bug with the CPU temp being reported incorrectly.
    | >|
    | >| I have my fan speed target set to 50, and since my system almost never
    | >| reaches that temp, the fan speed stays at a nice 3300 or so RPM...
    | >| very quiet (stock fan that comes with the boxed AMD processors). I
    | >| tried the Cool n Quiet thingy but wasn't really impressed. The only
    | >| thing it bought me was a slower speed on the Northbridge fan, but that
    | >| fan is pretty quiet anyway so I decided to just use the Smart CPU Fan
    | >| Target instead.
    | >
    | >Folk, I am already using "Smart CPU Fan Target" set to 50 also with
    5deg
    | >margin. I do use CNQ and it works perfectly as long as you have Power
    | >saving set to minimum and of course have the amdcpu.exe installed.
    However
    | >with the cover on I am never sure which fan is making the excess noise.
    All
    | >fan monitors I have tried report at least one fan running at 150,000rpm
    | >clearlyh a bug somewhere
    | >!
    | >Beemer
    |
    | 150,000. That's fast. ;-)
    |
    | If you are still having noise after using C n Q and the Smart Fan
    | Target thingy, then my guess would be a vid card fan. There's only so
    | many fans to check... try isolating to a particular fan by using a
    | pencil eraser to stop each fan one by one until you find the one
    | that's causing the problem.

    Folk,

    Did this and it appears to be the sum of all the fan noise including the
    PSU. Coolnquiet really is keeping the processor cool as felt by touch on
    the heatsink. Hottest thing by far are my two 250GB Maxtors despite the
    case fan blowing at them directly only 25mm away!

    Beemer

    Beemer, Jul 8, 2005