speeding up an existing PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by msim, Jul 18, 2005.

  1. msim

    msim Guest

    I have a PC with Asus P4R800-V Deluxe MoBo, Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU
    2.53GHz, currently PC2700 512MB RAM, Dell 19" LCD 1905FP.

    Problem:
    My current PC is slow when I switch windows and slow to launch
    programs. I must admit that I have a lot of background processes running,
    but I want to run those. I have image management software, running alongside
    iTunes, alongside Firefox with several windows open and a few more
    applications.

    Solution I am trying:
    Now, I am wondering if I can speed up my machine some by
    adding a 1GB PC3200 memory module (single bank or two banks?), may be adding
    a SATA HDD if that might help.

    My questions:
    1. Should I add PC2700 RAM or PC3200 1GM RAM bank? If
    you advice PC3200, should I use the existing PC2700 memory bank also or
    should I simply stop using the current RAM?
    2. Should I add a SATA hard drive? If so, how much speed
    benefit might that provide? I am thinking that a SATA drive might help cut
    the program load time.
    3. Earlier messages here have indicated that upgrading
    my video card will not help reduce the window switching speed from one
    application to another... So I am not going that path.

    Here below is the config of my home machine. Thanks in advance for sharing
    your thoughts.

    Cheers.

    Motherboard Properties:
    Motherboard ID
    04/07/2004-RS300-SB200-P4R800VC-00
    Motherboard Name Asus P4R800-V Deluxe

    Front Side Bus Properties:
    Bus Type Intel NetBurst
    Bus Width 64-bit
    Real Clock 133 MHz (QDR)
    Effective Clock 533 MHz
    Bandwidth 4266 MB/s

    Memory Bus Properties:
    Bus Type DDR SDRAM
    Bus Width 64-bit

    Memory Module Properties:
    Serial Number None
    Module Size 512 MB (2 rows, 4
    banks)
    Module Type Unbuffered
    Memory Type DDR SDRAM
    Memory Speed PC2700 (166 MHz)
    Module Width 64 bit
    Module Voltage SSTL 2.5
    Error Detection Method None
    Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us),
    Self-Refresh

    Memory Timings:
    @ 166 MHz 2.5-3-3-7
    (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
    @ 133 MHz 2.0-3-3-6
    (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

    CPU Properties:
    CPU Type Intel Pentium 4
    CPU Alias Northwood, A80532
    CPU Stepping C1
    Engineering Sample No
    CPUID CPU Name Intel(R) Pentium(R)
    4 CPU 2.53GHz
    CPUID Revision 00000F27h

    CPU Speed:
    CPU Clock 2539.02 MHz
    (original: 2533 MHz)
    CPU Multiplier 19.0x
    CPU FSB 133.63 MHz
    (original: 133 MHz)
    Memory Bus 0.00 MHz

    CPU Cache:
    L1 Trace Cache 12K Instructions
    L1 Data Cache 8 KB
    L2 Cache 512 KB (On-Die,
    ECC, ATC, Full-Speed)

    Motherboard Properties:
    Motherboard ID
    04/07/2004-RS300-SB200-P4R800VC-00
    Motherboard Name Asus P4R800-V Deluxe
    (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 WiFi, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)

    Chipset Properties:
    Motherboard Chipset ATI Radeon 9100 IGP
    CAS Latency (CL) 2T

    SPD Memory Modules:
    DIMM1 512 MB PC2700 DDR
    SDRAM (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz) (2.0-3-3-6 @ 133 MHz)
    DIMM2: Micron Tech. 8VDDT1664AG-335B4 128 MB PC2700 DDR
    SDRAM (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz) (2.0-3-3-6 @ 133 MHz)

    BIOS Properties:
    System BIOS Date 04/07/04
    Video BIOS Date 04/02/11
    Award BIOS Type Phoenix - Award BIOS
    v6.00PG
    Award BIOS Message ASUS P4R800-V DELUXE
    ACPI BIOS Rev. 1008
    DMI BIOS Version ASUS P4R800-V DELUXE
    ACPI BIOS Rev. 1008

    Graphics Processor Properties:
    Video Adapter ATI Radeon 9000/9100
    IGP Chipset -
    GPU Code Name RS300 (AGP 8x 1002
    / 5834, Rev 00)
    GPU Clock 301 MHz (original:
    300 MHz)

    msim, Jul 18, 2005

  2. msim

    kony Guest

    Well, if ANY of those are running at an improper priority
    level, you're either going to have to stop using them or
    nothing will help. Open task manager and see what's using
    CPU %. While in Task Manager (after having used system
    extensively for a few hours) note the peak memory
    utilization.

    Get PC3200, CAS2.5 or CAS2, not CAS3. There is no valid
    reason to get PC2700 today, as it's not even any cheaper at
    many places.

    Do you need more storage space?
    Practically none. SATA is no faster in typical uses than
    PATA, because the internal transfer speeds are still the
    same. In select benchmarks SATA can sometimes look
    marginally faster, but that's not a typical system use.

    Yes and no. SATA has nothing to do with it, but if your
    drive is older, OR if you have it pretty full so files are
    drive (and/or partitioning off your present drive to keep
    all used files nearer the outer tracks) will help some with
    load times and paging. It wouldn't help with the lag you
    report when switching between already open windows though,
    presuming you are going to upgrade the memory- that is the
    first step, do that (assuming Task Manager shows you're near
    your physical memory limits) and then determine if there's
    any further lag. The lag when switching windows should be
    tackled first, as lack of memory can also slow down
    launching new programs- especially if you leave the system
    on and are RElaunching them, which is multiple times faster
    if the files are already cached in memory.

    kony, Jul 18, 2005

  3. msim

    DaveW Guest

    Your computer's current components are all fairly well matched for their
    relative speeds. Upgrading JUST the RAM from 512 MB to 1024 MB would
    probably buy you around a 5 - 10% increase in speed. That's about it. The
    SATA harddrive you mentioned would NOT increase your computer's speed at
    all. By the way, do NOT mix the PC2700 RAM stick with a PC3200 stick. They
    would both HAVE to run at the slower PC2700's speed.

    DaveW, Jul 19, 2005
  4. msim

    kony Guest

    Yes at PC2700 but so what? That's no reason to buy PC2700
    instead as it's not even cheaper.

    IF the machie "needs" more memory, the performance benefit
    is far higher than 5-10%... could even be in the
    neighboorhood of 500% if the HDD starts paging.

    kony, Jul 19, 2005