    seconds after a web page finishes loading and also after clicking in a
    form field. What's up? TIA!

    Davoud

    Davoud, Oct 21, 2004

  2. Davoud

    fishfry Guest

    Don't know. But every once in a while I clean out the Safari icon
    directory (Library/Safari/Icons under your home directory) and restart
    Safari, and that seems to help. It's where Safari keeps the favicons
    (the little icons that appear in the address bar). For some reason this
    directory gets clogged up, and clearing it out seems to help performance
    a bit.

    fishfry, Oct 21, 2004

  3. I noticed Safari seems to have trouble with favicons. I was trying
    various icons out on a web page, uploading new ones, and it would
    sometimes require restarting Safari before it would display the
    new icon correctly.

    George Williams, Oct 21, 2004
  4. I've seen what the OP was talking about; I'll try flushing those
    library entries.

    I had problems with help crashing on my Mac. When I went down to the
    genius bar, they flushed the entries in
    Library/Caches/com.apple.helpui. The crashes went away.

    I'm getting slightly annoyed by behavior that gets fixed by deleting
    cache files. This is silly.

    --phil

    <Who likes Agent enough that I run it under VirtualPC on my Mac.>

    Phil Earnhardt, Oct 21, 2004
  5. Davoud

    Davoud Guest

    Davoud:
    Ah, but you _do_ know, and I am grateful that you took time to tell me.

    Many thanks,

    Davoud

    Davoud, Oct 21, 2004
  6. Davoud

    Ernie Klein Guest

    Spinning Beachballs in general:

    If you have the Developer tools installed there is a neat little app
    called 'Spin Control' that gives a lot of information about spinning
    beachballs. It is intended to be a debugging tool and will collect data
    about how much time is being spent in a function or process. While one
    would need the source code to understand what is happening, often the
    names of the functions called will offer a good clue, for example, if a
    function named 'readPlist' gets hung, the plist file for the application
    in question would be a good place to start looking.

    Developer -> Applications -> Performance Tools -> Spin Control

    Just start 'Spin Control' and as long as it is running it will collect
    data about any application that hangs.

    --
    -Ernie-

    "There are only two kinds of computer users -- those who have
    suffered a catastrophic hard drive failure, and those who will."

    Have you done your backup today?

    Ernie Klein, Oct 21, 2004