Spontaneous Rebooting on newly built Intel based system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jim, Oct 18, 2003.

  1. jim

    jim Guest

    My newly built system spontaneously reboots once or twice a day.

    I swapped out the power supply with no luck, and system continued to
    reboot. Replaced DIMMs, and had some luck. The original SpekTek
    memory DIMMs (2x256 DDR 400) would'nt work at all in a dual-channel
    config. I ran each DIMM by itself, and the system stabilized. I
    exchanged the DIMMS for a brand which is built with Infineon chips.
    These DIMMs are working in dual channel. I was also able to run
    advanced gaming (BF1942, MOH), and so I thought I had the problem
    fixed. However, the sytem continues to reboot randomly only now the
    problem is much less frequent.

    The system components are as follows:
    D865PERL main board,
    Allied A350ATX power supply,
    PC3200 DDR RAM (built with Infineon chips),
    ATI Radeon 9600 VGA card,
    RealTek PCI LAN,
    SIIG IEEE1394 PCI card, and
    Windows XP Home SP 1.

    I downloaded the latest drivers for everything from the Intel BIOS to
    the VGA graphics driver. The heat of the processor is ok. I am running
    the Intel Active Monitor, and the only warnings I have rec'd where for
    system zone two, and this did'nt cause a re-boot, but rather the
    system began to beep.

    jim, Oct 18, 2003

  2. That happened to a friend of mine but there was a HIDDEN loose wire
    coming from the Power Supply. I guess yours is guaranteed OK?

    Second, did you check your bios to see if any of the sleep modes were
    incorrectly set. It may be set to go dormant after a 2 second period
    of inactivity, and set again to boot in the ensuing two seconds? Just
    a wild hunch from someone who has been through the worst of gremlins.
    Check out that section of your BIOS...I forgot what the usualy call
    it. Mine never came back after it went dormant. I think because it
    was never set to come back, or set for hours and hours, long after I
    closed down for the day!
    Mike

    Michael P Gabriel, Oct 19, 2003