    additionally save web pages we want to search as pdf files. In that
    way all of the web links are probably stripped off. Any ideas why they
    will not let you search the content of saved web pages with Spotlight?

    -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-, May 13, 2005

  2. -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-

    Oxford Guest

    that is incorrect. in safari you can save a site or just a single page
    as a "web archive" and spotlight will automatically index it.

    Oxford, May 13, 2005

  3. Wait, do you mean pages that are actually saved as webarchive documents
    to the local drive? Seems to on my machine.

    Gregory Weston, May 13, 2005
  4. Thanks, you guys are right. The web archived pages show up in
    Spotlight!

    -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-, May 13, 2005
  5. -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-

    ZnU Guest

    It would be nice if it also searched your history, though. It wouldn't
    be that hard for Apple to make Safari keep copies of recently visited
    pages, that Spotlight could index.

    ZnU, May 13, 2005

  6. Your browser likely already does keep a cache of recently visited pages
    (unless you've shut that off). Spotlight probably just doesn't look in
    the cache directories - it has a list of built in stuff that it ignores.
    I don't know if you can force it to look at the cache directories, but
    you could certainly write something to copy that stuff somewhere it
    would look at..

    Tony Lawrence, May 13, 2005
  7. -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-

    Mark Haase Guest

    What on earth are you talking about? Spotlight doesn't search the web
    because Google is much better than it. However, if you save websites to
    a local disk, then spotlight indexes them immediately and you *can*
    search through them. (Whether its PDF or not). Moreover, PDFs can have
    links in them, its just that Apple's "Save as PDF" button chooses not to
    do this.

    In no way at all could other people search your computer over the
    internet unless you sent them your spotlight indices; even then they
    can't access the files without being given the appropriate permissions.

    You can relax now.

    Mark Haase, May 13, 2005
  8. -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-

    Mark Haase Guest

    Safari usually stores its cache in ~/Library/Caches/Safari. Both the
    system and user library directories are indexed by default, so the cache
    files should get indexed. Apparently, however, they are not indexed. I
    tried typing the name of a cache file into spotlight and I didn't get
    any results. Even if they were indexed, however, Safari stores its cache
    in a compressed format, so you can't index the contents anyways.

    Apple could, of course, write a "handler" for safari cache files, which
    would be a neat idea for a feature to drop directly into safari, since
    spotlight has its own API.

    Mark Haase, May 13, 2005
  9. Well, that's how Spotlight works - it has handlers that know how to read
    the files and index them appropriately. I didn't realize Safari
    compresses its cache, but it makes sense, so if you wanted to copy them
    elsewhere, you'd need to uncompress - assuming that's possible.

    Spotlight needs work.. it shouldn't have hard coded exclusions, and it
    should do rudimentary tests to determine files it can index. Right now,
    it will completely miss an ordinary text file that isn't named
    "correctly" (see http://aplawrence.com/Words2005/2005_05_07.html ).

    But that's not a real gripe: it's new, it will get better. And it's
    useful right now.

    Tony Lawrence, May 13, 2005
  10. -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-

    Tim Smith Guest

    So far the one that has most annoyed me is that it skips files whose
    name starts with ".". I hope they change it to allow including those.

    Tim Smith, May 14, 2005