    state-of-the-art 30-inch diagonal WXGA TFT/LCD, full-color,
    wide screen displays to showcase the digital detail found in
    HDTV broadcasts."

    power, Apr 3, 2004

  2. i think the hdtv implementation is slow because of the installed user base of crt type
    televisions. Coupled with the reluctance of broadcast TV stations to spend big $$$ to
    convert their facilities over to hdtv signal broadcasts and losing the near short term
    profits that allows them to leverage the purchase of the superbowl time for their station.

    i think i read somewhere that the tv stations and comercial industry is mandated to be
    hdtv by 2005, this edit (law) came about because of the embarassment of losing the entire
    vcr industry to the most excellent japanese manufacturing cartel. (and that is another
    story).

    IF the US doesn't get off it's proverbial ash and do something about the slooowwwww hdtv
    switch-over, the hdtv market will be lost to another country, like the cellular phone
    industry has gone overseas.

    and that is enough to piss you off.

    ** No Fate **

    cheers,
    dracman
    Tomb Raider: Shotgun City
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb.htm
    http://www.smokeypoint.org/traod/traod.html

    **savegame editors all versions Tomb Raider & TRAOD godmode
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/tr2code.htm

    http://www.smokeypoint.com/tombraider1/tombraider1pictures.htm
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dfx.htm
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/banshee.html
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/My_PC.htm
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb2.htm#Tova

    ** GTA III vice City Character MOD
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/uzi.htm#gta3

    NFS: drive at the limits of tyre adhesion ! snag Lara's Croftraider IV sports car ! !
    NFS3:NFS4
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dfx.htm#raider

    http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dfx.htm#blondstranger
    NFS:HS - Reg method to add your d3d card to NFS:HS
    NFS III - Reg method to add your d3d card to NFS:HP
    -=-=-
    Mad Onion - 3DMark 2001 and 3DMark 2001se -
    {not the Pro} 4x4 Missile Launcher Truck Secret Game Demo screen snaps
    (and secret password)
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dmark2001.html
    -=-=-

    http://www.smokeypoint.com/glidos.htm
    http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dfx.htm#blondstranger

    : All this about HDTV... by the time its in full bloom the tech will be
    : old news. ;^o no?
    : I think its going to be left behind for a better alternative and
    : 'easier / cheaper to implement' technology.
    : Just seems to be a looonnng time in coming, and didn't HD come out in
    : ads before 'digital' TV? I sort of
    : remember it that way. Now digital in many forms is here and HD
    : broadcasting is barely mentionable.
    : Or is this considered apples and oranges? Kinda like the PII, seems it
    : got stampeded over
    : as the III's weren't that far down the road. If I'm way off, then this
    : will spark interesting thread I guess.
    :
    : morning all......
    :
    :
    : : > Does any of these things happen yet as ATI said in its press
    : > talk at http://www.ati.com/companyinfo/press/2004/4732.html
    : > ?
    : >
    : > "Starting this spring, HDTV WONDER will be available as a
    : > bundled purchase with selected ALL-IN-WONDER video cards and
    : > separately on ATI.com followed by broad distribution in
    : > retail stores. Additionally, HDTV WONDER will be offered in
    : > Hy-Tek's Tekpanel 300HD and the Tekpanel 370HD
    : > (http://www.tekpanel.com), wide-screen all-in-one multimedia
    : > computers for home or office. The Hy-Tek solutions offer

    JAD, Apr 3, 2004
  4. power

    Kai Robinson Guest

    HDTV - GREAT! NOW I CAN WATCH 15 MINUTES OF COMMERCIALS AN HOUR...IN
    STUPIDLY HIGH RESOLUTION!

    Hehehe, honestly, i dont see the point of HDTV. I know no-one that has or
    even wants a plasma or TFT television, they're just too expensive, and not
    worth it.

    Kai Robinson, Apr 4, 2004
  5. power

    J. Clarke Guest

    And your point is?

    There is nothing about HDTV that requires that one have a plasma or TFT
    television--there are plenty of HD CRT and big-screen rear-projection sets
    on the market.

    J. Clarke, Apr 13, 2004
  6. power

    J. Clarke Guest

    It pretty much _is_ in "full bloom" in the US. I can get HD broadcasts from
    all the major networks, with several different stations for the larger
    ones, and I'm in one of the areas where the local broadcasters dragged
    their feet.
    So let's see, the FCC is going to turn around and change the broadcast
    standards just as everybody gets the new system online? I've never heard
    of an FCC director being lynched by a coalition of broadcasters but if it's
    going to happen that would do it.
    What do you mean "came out in ads"? Do you mean that it was advertised or
    that advertisemetns were somehow transmitted at higher defnition than the
    programming with which they were surrounded? If the former, do you always
    believe advertisements? If the latter, that's quite a trick, care to
    explain how equipment that was designed around the NTSC standard, and
    signals that are strictly regulated by the government to comply with that
    standard, somehow conveyed higher resolution than that standard allows, and
    how that higher resolution was displayed on hardware that isn't even up to
    displaying the full resolution of standard NTSC?
    If you're talking about the US you remember wrong.
    Why? What happens if you mention it? Will your date get out of the car and
    call a cab or something?
    I think you're confused about something.

    There is a set of standards for high definition broadcast television in the
    United States. Those standards are mandated by Federal regulation and all
    broadcast stations have been given a deadline for commencing high
    definition broadcast. That deadline has either passed or will pass within
    a few weeks (I don't recall the exact date offhand) and nearly all
    television broadcasters in the US are transmitting high definition. All
    you have to do is stick up an antenna and hook the right tuner to it to
    recieve it. To actually get some benefit out of it you need a display that
    can handle 1280x720 or better, but that's another story.

    All the HD modes are digitally transmitted--this has some benefits and some
    disadvantages--the big benefit is that you either have a perfect picture or
    none. The big disadvantage is the same--it doesn't degrade
    gracefully--instead of having a fuzzy picture and staticky sound you have
    dropouts or no display or no sound at all.

    There is also digital cable, which is digital to the set top box, not to the
    display--what comes out of the set top box is no better than what is
    carried by ordinary analog cable, they use digital because they can
    compress the signal a lot more that way and carry more channels for a given
    amount of bandwidth. There is also high definition cable, which requires
    the same type of displays as high definition broadcast, however the set top
    boxes have no HD modulator (personally I think they should be required by
    law to have one) and so the only way to see the HD content in HD is to use
    a monitor with DVI or component inputs connected directly to the set top
    box--you can see it with a conventional TV but it gets down-converted to
    ordinary NTSC. The same is true for direct-broadcast satellite.

    If you've seen HD on a big-screen HD display you're already converted. If
    you haven't, you will be.

    J. Clarke, Apr 13, 2004