    services:

    http://www.word4life.com/SpymacVsGmail.html

    Ajay

    Ajay, Apr 7, 2004

  2. Well, one could always encrypt email; that way gmail won't be able to
    read it.

    Michelle Steiner, Apr 7, 2004

  3. I'd echo that comment but I honestly feel otherwise.
    Privacies activists should already know that electronic correspondence
    is a remarkably bad way to protect your privacy. My expectations for
    privacy via electronic correspondence are about the same as my
    expectations are for Dubya to win the Nobel Peace Price and a thank you
    dinner from the Newspaper Guild of America.
    Curious, yes, but your posting here on Usenet, unless you're adding
    Seems to me a fair trade-off for an otherwise free and voluntarily
    subscribed service. End-users get a free service that appears to trump
    all existing alternatives, advertisers get another vehicle to deliver
    their message/service/product. Since Google gets paid/click-through
    with their ad words program, Google generates a revenue stream and
    advertisers get the benefit of targeted ads. A marriage made in digital
    heaven and since the ads are read only by virtual machine, what are you
    really losing?

    So as I see it:

    - Consumers benefit from the free email accounts
    - Advertisers get face time in front of qualified consumers
    - Google makes mo' money and that's what businesses are charged to do

    What will be curious, to say the least, is just how intelligent their
    algorithms are in delivering properly targeted advertising.
    I foresee a lot of intentionally humorous ads being delivered as a
    result of email keyword content examination.

    Of course, if you want to get the benefits of the free email service
    and avoid the spam, I guess you could just rot-13 your emails and leave
    Google and its advertisers scratching their collective heads. More
    rigorous email encryption modes are available too.

    As for SpyMac, hitching their offering to Google's announcement is a
    shrewd PR move. Their metrics aren't even a fraction of a fraction of
    a fraction as compared to Googles, and their objective is to sell
    *their* offerings. It's all about the mighty dollar and I say let the
    free market decide! Capitalism is good.

    BTW, how many will use or be able to utilize a gig of email space?
    Sounds to me like a great come on and a really smart way to grab some
    major mind share from Hotmail and Yahoo.

    Internet privacy, isn't that oxymoronic?

    --
    -John Steinberg
    email:

    ....And that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped.
    --Sir Bedevere

    John Steinberg, Apr 7, 2004
  4. Ajay

    Roger Guest