Spybot 4.0/Hosts File

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Leanin' Cedar, Jun 16, 2005.

  1. Just upgraded to Program Version 4.0.3 (Build 363) , as soon as it loaded
    I got an error "hosts file 12 too large"

    Did about an hour of Google, and am more confused than I was when I started.

    I am also running WinPatrol v. 9.1

    1. Is it time to panic.

    2. In Winpatrol options tab, I have ticked Detect Changes to Internet
    Explorer Home and Search Pages, and Warn if changes are made to my HOSTS
    file. I also have ticked lock HOSTS file. Is all OK at this point?

    3. In all of the google searches there seemed to be a lot of info about
    deleting the host file, uninstall SpyBot, clear the host file etc. etc. This
    seems like it is a bit over the top.

    4. Should I try to uninstall the update, and go back to the previous version
    and wait for SpyBot to fix this?

    5. It seems some users replace there hosts file by using a download. Is this
    advisable?

    6. Any other suggestions?

    Thanks
    Bob