SS 5 graphics hardware

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Michael Moeller, Dec 18, 2011.

  1. Hi,

    in my SS 5 a graphics card is attached to the AFX bus slot.
    Reportedly the only card ever plugged into AFX was an S24
    graphics card. However, the SS 5 Service Manual assumes an
    S24 in this place. I wasn't able to identify the device
    by the chips numbers.

    Anyway, Solaris 2.6 assumes 8-bit graphics.

    dmesg says:
    ..
    ..
    ..
    cgsix0 at sbus0: SBus slot 3 0x0 SBus level 5 sparc ipl 9
    cgsix0 is /iommu@0,10000000/sbus@0,10001000/cgsix@3,0
    cgsix0: screen 1152x900, single buffered, 1M mappable, rev 11
    ..
    ..
    ..

    xdpyinfo says:

    screen #0:
    dimensions: 1152x900 pixels (325x254 millimeters)
    resolution: 90x90 dots per inch
    depths (2): 1, 8
    root window id: 0x2a
    depth of root window: 8 planes
    number of colormaps: minimum 1, maximum 1
    default colormap: 0x21
    default number of colormap cells: 256

    Michael Moeller, Dec 18, 2011

  2. Michael Moeller

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    O.K. First question:

    Are you *sure* that it is plugged into the AFX bus, not to the
    SBus? Both use the same slot (the one on the side where the SIMMs plug
    in), but plug into different connectors. The SBus connector is in line
    with the other two sBus connectors, while the AFX bus connector is
    between the SBus connector and the SIMMs. (The S24 card is a little
    longer.)
    Not all SS5 systems came with the S24 card, which was an extra
    cost option.

    Note that this says SBus slot 3, which is the SBus slot which is
    the same place as the AFX slot.

    Look for "/dev/fbs/afb0". This is created when the system does
    a reconfigure boot with the S24 card in that slot.

    Also -- look at the barcode number on the framebuffer. It is
    usually stuck to the SBus connector or the AFX connector. The first
    three digits will be "501", and for the SS2, the next four digits will
    be "2337" and anything beyond that will be the serial number of the
    card.

    Other cards which will fit are: (Sorry about the number order,
    but that is how they appear in my dead-tree Field Engineer's Handbook.)

    501-1455 MG2 (monochrome graphics)
    501-8062 MG2
    501-1561 MG2
    501-3077 MG2

    501-1415 CG3 8-bit color frame buffer
    501-8044 CG3
    501-1718 CG3
    501-1909 CG3
    501-2691 CG3

    501-1672 GX 8-bit color frame buffer (/dev/cgsix0)
    501-1996 GX

    501-1717 GXplus 8-bit color frame buffer (/dev/cgsix0)
    501-2018 GXplus
    501-2039 GXplus

    Two slots wide

    501-1845 ZX (two board set) -- 24-bit Color Frame Buffer (/dev/leo0)
    501-1843 Upper Board
    501-1844 Lower Board

    Two slots wide

    501-2503 TurboZX (two board set) -- 24-bit Color Frame Buffer (/dev/leo0)
    501-2711 Upper Board
    501-2502 Lower Board

    One slot wide

    501-2325 TurboGX 8-bit Color Frame Buffer (/dev/cgsix0)
    501-2922 TurboGX

    501-2253 TurboGXplus -- 8-bitColor Frame Buffer -- (/dev/cgsix0)
    501-2955 TurboGXplus

    And finally, the S24

    501-2337 S24 24-bit Color Frame Buffer -- /dev/tcx0

    So -- it *looks* as though you have either the TurboGX or the
    TurboGXplus -- but you should confirm this by looking for the bar code
    number on the card.

    An eBay search for:

    Sun 501-2337 S24

    finds two with photos -- and scary price tags) at the moment.

    As the last photo in the first auction (# 290339744449), you have an
    example of the bar code label -- 5012337024191

    It looks as though on this one it is on the underside of the
    board by the 13W3 video connector, not the bus connector as I suggested
    above.

    The second auction is -- # 180463087898, with bar code label
    50112337025356 -- again on the underside of the board near the 13W3
    connector.
    Check the bar code number. I've got a couple of SS5s still
    running, but I did not need the fancy frame buffers, and put something
    less power hungry in them, as they are mostly servers now. I certainly
    don't need the 24-bit graphics.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    DoN. Nichols, Dec 18, 2011

  3. Thank you.
    I don't care about graphics performance neither but I'd like to understand
    what's going on. I came across this topic by accident while doing some X11
    programming.

    To answer your questions, yes, it's the AFX slot but there isn't any bar
    code on the device, neither up- nor underside.

    Checking my SS 20 I've got the sneaking suspicion cgsix is sort of an
    implicit default for all SS. I can't remember being asked for graphics
    while installing the OS. Perhaps this is because of performance reasons.
    The SS 20 definitely has a card capable of more than 8 bit color.

    Regards,
    Michael

    Michael Moeller, Dec 18, 2011
  4. Hi,

    Sorry, but for some reason, I can't quote your posting.
    The kernel says that you have a cgsix, not the S24 graphics card.
    The S24 is a pretty uncommon option, most systems I have seen
    have used a cgsix, (Turbo)GX, card. There is no default for a
    graphics card. It's autodetected. You can't get more than 8bit
    colors from a cgsix, but it's a fair 2D graphics card.
    You may have a cgsix in your SS20 too. It was the most common
    framebuffer well into the UltraSPARC age. The SS20 can use
    a cg14, but it requires an optional VSIMM.
    IIRC the S24 was a variant of the TCX framebuffer, while the
    afb was the generic name for the Elite3D family. You won't
    find an Elite3D in a sun4m.

    Dennis

    Dennis Grevenstein, Dec 19, 2011
  5. Am 12/19/2011 05:46 AM, schrieb Dennis Grevenstein:
    Dennis,

    from what I've learned so far cgsix is a device driver.
    Are you really sure the system definitely has an 8 bit framebuffer,
    if it uses cgsix, otherwise it would unambiguously use cgfourteen?

    Regards,
    Michael

    Michael Moeller, Dec 19, 2011
  6. Well, if this is what the kernel tells you:

    cgsix0 at sbus0: SBus slot 3 0x0 SBus level 5 sparc ipl 9
    cgsix0 is /iommu@0,10000000/sbus@0,10001000/cgsix@3,0
    cgsix0: screen 1152x900, single buffered, 1M mappable, rev 11

    then you have a cgsix variant, probably a TGX, with 1MB
    of VRAM. That's the most common graphics card for an SS5.
    That's just what the kernel detects and uses. An SX framebuffer
    for SS20 would be /dev/cgfourteen0. The S24 framebuffer would
    be /dev/tcx0.

    http://www.shrubbery.net/~heas/sun-feh-2_1/Devices/Graphics/GRAPH_SS5_S24.html
    http://www.shrubbery.net/~heas/sun-feh-2_1/Devices/Graphics/GRAPH_CG14.html

    I've got an SS10 with a Fujitsu framebuffer and it says:

    unix: PFUaga0 at sbus0
    unix: SBus slot 1 0x0
    unix: SBus level 5
    unix: sparc ipl 9
    unix: PFUaga0 is /iommu@f,e0000000/sbus@f,e0001000/PFU,aga@1,0

    there are other ways to look at the hardware inventory on old
    SPARCs. Try "prtconf" or "prtconf -vp".
    You might also want to read the framebuffer FAQ:
    http://www.sunhelp.org/faq/FrameBuffer.html

    Dennis

    Dennis Grevenstein, Dec 19, 2011
  7. Am 12/19/2011 11:39 PM, schrieb Dennis Grevenstein:
    Thank you. Sometimes things are more easy than expected.

    The SS20 has a TurboXGX and the SS5s either have SBus or
    S24 cards. Obviously I mixed things up. So everything makes
    sense now.

    Regards,
    Michael

    Michael Moeller, Dec 20, 2011