SS20 and SDA disk problem

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Ripley, Sep 2, 2003.

  1. Ripley

    Ripley Guest

    Hi,
    A friend of mine gave me SS20 with a super-noisy HD (even my dogs
    bark at it...). Now, I have three Quantum Viking 4.5 SCA (in exchange of a
    to high disk I bought for 60$), but only two in the SS20. Open boot can see
    them, even Solaris8, but I'm unable to format them. I installed Linux on
    the noisy disk (I use linux, but when the disk will work, I'll probably
    switch to Solaris) and there is no differences.

    When I start linux, the disks get detect. in dmesg, I get

    [...]
    scsi0 : Sparc ESP100A-FAST
    scsi : 1 host.
    Vendor: SEAGATE Model: ST32550N Rev: 0021
    Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
    Vendor: QUANTUM Model: VIKING 4.5 SCA Rev: 8600
    Detected scsi disk sdb at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
    Vendor: QUANTUM Model: VIKING 4.5 SCA Rev: 8600
    Detected scsi disk sdc at scsi0, channel 0, id 3, lun 0
    scsi : detected 3 SCSI disks total.
    esp0: target 0 [period 100ns offset 15 10.00MHz FAST SCSI-II]
    SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 4194058 [2047 MB] [2.0 GB]
    esp0: target 1 [period 100ns offset 15 10.00MHz FAST SCSI-II]
    sdb : READ CAPACITY failed.
    sdb : status = 0, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 28
    sdb : extended sense code = 4
    sdb : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.
    esp0: target 3 [period 100ns offset 15 10.00MHz FAST SCSI-II]
    sdc : READ CAPACITY failed.
    sdc : status = 0, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 28
    sdc : extended sense code = 4
    sdc : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.
    [...]

    When I try fdisk /dev/sd[bc], I get

    SCSI disk error : host 0 channel 0 id 1 lun 0 return code = 28000000
    [valid=0] Info fld=0x0, Current sd08:10: sns = 70 4
    ASC= 9 ASCQ=f8
    Raw sense data:0x70 0x00 0x04 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x0a 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
    0x09
    scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:10, sector 0

    Unable to read /dev/sdb

    Sinse I'm not an expert and my friend is gone for at lease a mounth or two,
    I don't realy know what to do. I'd like to make those disk work and use my
    SS20, I don't like to see a dual CPU standing there and doing nothing :eek:)

    Thankx for helping,

    Ripley

    Ripley, Sep 2, 2003

  2. Ripley

    Griff Miller Guest

    I don't have a good answer for you, just commiseration. I have had lots of weird
    problems using that particular model of Quantum drive in SS20's, and one of
    them was that I never got two to work at the same time. Try taking one of them
    out (the top one, of course) and see how you get on.

    Of course, you may have the other problem I sometimes had with those drives:
    they just don't work in an SS20, even singly .

    Griff Miller, Sep 8, 2003

  3. Ripley

    Ripley Guest

    A friend of mine at work repare the drive last friday. After a week-end of
    intensive use for one and sleep for the other, the two work very well now.
    The solution, a little drop of about 6 inches on the table :eek:) There are
    mecanical disk (plate) brake in the hard drives. Since those didn't worked
    for about two or three months, they got stucked.

    Ripley, Sep 10, 2003