[SS20] memory question

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Claus Kick, Feb 5, 2004.

  1. Claus Kick

    Claus Kick Guest

    hello,

    I have a small question concerning the placement of memory.

    The SS20 is equipped with 6 ram chips, 2 64MB (partnumber 501-2480)
    chips and four 32MB (partnumber 501-2622) chips.

    I have installed (once again) the ram chips in bank order, starting
    with the 64MB chips in bank 0 and bank 1, and the four 32MB chips in
    banks 2 to 5.

    Installing one at a time, OBP tested and so on, never complained, I
    let the machine boot each time, then shut it down again.

    After a few shutdown -h now, power-off via OBP, all memory was seated.
    256MB of RAM as expected. Now today, I powered the machine up again to
    install some additional software and lo and behold, the memory test
    after POST failed with "Memory not aligned".

    "test /memory" yielded some - to me - unreadable addresses in an
    continuous loop.
    So i powered-off the machine again and simply removed the 32MB chip
    from bank 5.
    Starting the machine a few times now shows me it is working properly
    again.

    Now my question:
    Is that ram chip faulty or shouldnt I have put it into bank 5? If so,
    why did it work for one or two reboots without complaining?

    I would be very grateful if someone could shed some light onto this.
    Unfortunately, I dont have more than a basic grasp of all that kind of
    trouble ...

    Claus Kick

    Claus Kick, Feb 5, 2004

  2. Claus Kick

    Rich Teer Guest

    The installation order isn't the same as the bank order. See the
    SS20 service manual for more.
    It could be a bit iffy: borderline working. Once you've checked the
    installation order, it might not be a bad idea to run VTS for a few
    days.

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

    Rich Teer, Feb 5, 2004

  3. Claus Kick

    ultrasparc3 Guest

    except for the requirement that there be memory at physical address 0
    there is no installation order for an SS10 or SS20. if you use
    the sx_cmem driver then you may want to arrange memory to make it
    contiguous but that is fairly unlikely in 2004. see the sxconfig
    manual page for further details on SX contiguous memory.

    32MB memory sticks were not supported by earlier versions of the
    firmware. if the firmware properly calculated the size of memory that
    you installed then that would not be the problem.

    ultrasparc3, Feb 6, 2004
  4. Claus Kick

    Claus Kick Guest

    the funny thing is that the service manual and the special dimm
    installation manual are not quite fiddling the same tune ...

    I used a 64-32-64-32-32-32 installation, as proposed by the manual and
    lo and behold, after the final 32mb chip, the machine did not boot at
    all :)
    The last one I added had been the one of questionable functionality.

    So, I ripped it out again and threw it far, far away. And tada, the
    machine
    works again.

    A bit weird really, but well ... at least its working again. One of
    these four 32mb chips has always been a trouble-maker.
    Well, its OBP 2.25, so that should not have been the problem.

    Thanks to both of you and sorry for this long delay to answer, but my
    news server seems to be down temporarily.

    Cheers,
    Claus

    Claus Kick, Feb 8, 2004