    would it be a waste of 60gig?

    Should I allocated 20gig and use the remaining for other apps etc?

    Thanks.

    Craig Coope, May 31, 2011

  2. Per Craig Coope:
    I don't know enough to parse "cache", but I do have an SSD as my
    "System" disc. BTW it's the biggest performance gain I've seen
    from any modification I've done.

    Can't recall the exact nominal size, but I have it partitioned
    into 48.8 gigs of "C:" (System drive) and 25.7 gigs of "D:" for
    Data.

    Actually, all my "real" data is on a NAS box... but my practice
    has always been to partition a drive like that so that the
    system/applications are in one place and everything else is
    elsewhere - so that I can take an image and restore that image at
    any time with no loss of data.

    For the Windows XP and the applications I run 48.8 gigs is
    probably wretched excess. I've built an XP system with as
    little as 5 gigs and suspect 30 would be more like it for a
    generous allocation. Right now, it's showing 28.6 gigs unused
    out of those 48.8 - and only 32 megs are used by the #NtUninstall
    folders.

    But I have Windows Updates turned on - and each update eats a
    little more space until I think to delete the backup files. A
    little extra giggage increases the time between when those
    deletes are needed - although it is already a very, very long
    time even with 30 gigs.

    (PeteCresswell), Jun 1, 2011