ssh & iCloud

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Jack Shown, May 19, 2014.

1. Jack Shown

Jack Shown Guest

Until about a week ago, this worked fine whenever I needed to connect to my home Mac and I'm wondering if anyone else is encountering this same issue or if others are having success.

This is the format of the command that I used to connect to my home Mac (until May 9 according to output from /usr/bin/last):

ssh -2 -6 username@ComputerName.12345678.members.btmm.icloud.com

where the 8-digit number is the iCloud id obtained (on my home Mac) from the output of:

dns-sd -B _ssh

I am also unable to use AFP or VNC in this same way.

However, I can still connect using TeamViewer so it's not that big of a deal but I'd rather just use ssh. Does anyone know if it is just iCloud having some temporary issue?

Thanks.

Jack Shown, May 19, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Jack Shown

paris2venice Guest

This is the error I get when using the above ssh command:

ssh: Could not resolve hostname ComputerName.12345678.members.btmm.icloud.com: nodename nor
    servname provided, or not known

(where ComputerName is my Mac's name and the 8 digits are my iCloud ID).

Does no one else use this? It would be good info if you are using it and it is working for you. Thanks.

paris2venice, May 20, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. I suspect that icloud.com did some networking change to restrict this
    sort of access. Is it a documented (ie supported) method or just
    something you discovered that worked?

Michael Vilain, May 20, 2014
  4. Jack Shown

paris2venice Guest

I got it to work again. Somehow, BTMM in my iCloud sys pref got unchecked on my office iMac. I sure would not have done it but it doesn't matter ... that fixed it. It most certainly a supported feature of iCloud.

paris2venice, May 21, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question