ST61G4 + 160 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Serial ATA Problems!

Discussion in 'Shuttle' started by Mike Shafer, Dec 4, 2003.

  1. Mike Shafer

    Mike Shafer Guest

    Hello everyone. I recently purchased the ST61G4 from MWAVE. Loaded it
    with 1 GB DDR400 RAM, 160 GB Seagate 7200.7 SATA drive, and a 3.0 GHz
    P4. Problems arising from the beginning: the BIOS does not recognize
    the drive.

    I thought the drive was dead perhaps. But when I enabled the OnChip
    RAID feature, and loaded the RAID utility during bootup, I could see
    the drive listed there. I even low-level formatted it.

    The documentation isn't strong yet for this system since it just came
    out 1-2 weeks ago. The PDF I used told me to enable Serial ATA,
    enable the floppy A:, enable the FDC of course, and enable the RAID
    chip. Then, hit F6 during Windows installation to load the drivers.
    That failed and it keeps asking me for a manufacturer disk, when I
    copied the D:\Silicon\RAID directory over to the floppy disk as per
    instructions from MWAVE.

    Right now I'm in talks with MWAVE to find the solution. Nothing so
    far, but at least I know the drive is being recognized. FYI I hooked
    the drive up to another system with SATA, and it recognized it
    immediately.

    So I'm digging through CMOS looking for the right setting, perhaps,
    that can solve the problem. I've even documented everything I've done
    thus far here:

    http://home.shafe.com/docs/ST61G4.html

    Can anyone please help me? MWAVE is taking their time because they've
    never encountered this problem before.

    Thanks!

    Mike

    Mike Shafer, Dec 4, 2003

  2. Mike Shafer

    D R Tester Guest

    If the SATA RAID controller is of the type SIL3x12 (Silicon Image) then
    download the drivers from:
    http://12.24.47.40/display/2/index....512Q04X5i0UupP4SveI6dt2WJi7&cid=2&r=0.7982752
    (Go to downloads, drivers.... should find it in there) and put them on a
    floppy disk.

    It is quite likely that your SATA drive was recognised on other systems as
    they have installed Windows XP onto another drive, which carries with it the
    SATA drivers, or there was anexisting SATA drive already on the system,
    hence drivers for the controller were already installed...

    Dom

    D R Tester, Dec 4, 2003

  3. Mike Shafer

    Mike Shafer Guest

    Thank you. The RAID software I was using was actually OK, but the
    floppy drive I was using to load the drivers was faulty. I wired up
    another floppy drive and it is working right now. I'm formatting my
    main disk as we speak with NTFS. I'll provide an update on my page
    listed above.

    The moral of the story is: be a geek, so have spare parts lying around
    (like a floppy drive or an IDE cable). You NEVER know when you'll need
    it.

    Or a better moral of the story for Microsoft: let the users load
    drivers from a fucking CD! When you have 1 GB of RAM, there ought to
    be enough space to store those 2 MB files. :)

    Mike Shafer, Dec 5, 2003