    standby instead of completely off. This sounds a little like a car
    battery charging faster if you leave the lights on. Anyone know for
    sure?

    -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-, Jul 24, 2005

  2. -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-

    zara Guest

    There are so few Macs around, that even the Mac techs don't know shit from
    Shinola - send it back to the factory - it takes 3 to 4 weeks. Sorry I
    couldn't be more helpful.

    zara, Jul 24, 2005

  3. -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-

    Guest Guest

    sleep is essentially the same as off, except that the ram is maintained
    and the powermanager chip is waiting for a keypress or the lid to be
    opened. in other words, there is negligible power consumption.
    therefore, you won't notice a difference in charge time.

    of course, if you are using the laptop, it will charge at a slower rate
    than in either sleep or off.

    and find a new repair shop.

    Guest, Jul 24, 2005
  4. -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-

    Belphegor Guest

    Sorry but I would really like to know how you reach your conclusions. I
    am sure you spent a lot of time on your considered opinion so please
    elaborate:

    a)How, logically, the first statement is relating to the second.
    b)Why somebody should send his computer to the factory when he is not
    mentioning anything being wrong with his computer.
    c)why apologise if you are obviously stretching your brain to maximum
    capacity to 'help out'? You should be proud of yourself, you done well!

    Belphegor, Jul 24, 2005
  5. This is somewhat beside the point, but why would you switch the
    Powerbook off???

    Andrew J. Brehm, Jul 24, 2005
  6. -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-

    Clark Martin Guest

    It should still charge in more or less the same amount of time. The
    power supply has enough capacity to do both. I've measured the power
    consumption of both AC and DC adapters under various conditions and the
    data I got supports this.
    Unfortunately a new repair shop might be an even worse source of
    information.

    Clark Martin, Jul 30, 2005
  7. -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-

    Guest Guest

    that is completely opposite than my experience with assorted powerbooks
    and ibooks. the unit will unquestionably charge at a noticably slower
    rate if it is being used than when it is sleeping or off.

    instead of measuring power consumption, try using a clock.
    it can't be any worse, since what the original repair shop said was
    completely wrong. a different place could only be better, or at worst,
    the same.

    Guest, Jul 30, 2005