    Looked on Award Bios pages to see if the one short and very long beep meant
    anything with no help.

    Can anyone help me?

    Dad, May 6, 2007

  2. Doesn't the BIOS look for the CPU fan to be connected to the MB?
    If not then it shuts down the system to protect the CPU?
    You disconnected the video card............did you put in another one?
    Mayhbe a PCI one?
    Did you enable the onboard video, if so equipped?

    Award BIOS beep codes
    Award uses the least of any of the BIOS manufactures just two codes, they
    prefer to display a message on the screen state the error. The only time you
    will get any beeps is if the video cards fails or a RAM problem.

    Some Award Beep codes are here, but will probably not be much help:
    http://www.phoenix.com/en/Customer+Services/BIOS/AwardBIOS/Award+Error+Codes.htm
    http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/beep/index.htm
    http://bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

    http://www.techadvice.com/tech/B/BeepCode.htm#Award
    "Award BIOS Versions 2.xx and up, beeping codes -
    The BIOS has only one standard beep code - one short, two long -
    indicating a video problem has occurred.
    If you are receiving any other beeps, it's probably a RAM problem."

    I guess I would pull the ram out and try booting the computer to check the
    beeps.

    Then maybe pull the CPU out and try booting the computer to check the beeps.

    Do this at your own risk!
    I am thinking bad CPU or bad MotherBoard. :-(

    good luck,
    dave
    (One out of many daves)

    dave AKA vwdoc1, May 7, 2007

  3. Dad

    f/fgeorge Guest

    1 long and then 1 short beep means motherboard bad. Continous beep
    means bad power supply. Repeating short beeps means bad power supply.
    1 long and 2 short beeps abd video card. 1 short and bad/no disply
    means video cable and/or display bad. 1 short beep and no boot means
    disk cable, adaptor or drive bad. No beeps means bad power supply.

    f/fgeorge, May 7, 2007
  4. Dad

    DrB Guest

    Thanks to everyone who give me advise on how to solve my problem. After
    trying everything, including resetting the CMOS, replacing video card, and
    changing RAM, I temporarily plugged in an old CPU, which was removed from
    another PC after making noise, into the motherboard and got PC to start up.
    Then I went into the bios and disabled the automatic fan shutdown.

    Looks like I need to find somewhere more CPU fans since Fry's do not carry
    them without heatsinks. Anyone know a source?

    DrB, May 8, 2007
  5. Dad

    f/fgeorge Guest

    I think newegg.com has them. I have dealt with them and they are good
    and honest.

    f/fgeorge, May 8, 2007
  6. Dad

    doug Guest

    Try this site

    http://www.buyextras.com/fans.html

    I've dealt with them many times with excellent results.

    doug, May 18, 2007