Starteling discovery: Antec 1200 filters block probably 70% to 90% of airflow.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Skybuck Flying, May 26, 2011.

  1. Hello,

    I am taking it very slow with re-building my PC and thinking and checking
    about everything, every little detail gets examined.

    I was just cleaning the dust filters and noticed some water vapor on the
    center or so... I started to wonder if they are perhaps obstructed by "white
    stuff in the water".

    So I started blowing against the dust filter and keeping my hand behind
    it...

    I didn't feel much airflow go through so I thought "that's odd".

    Then I started blowing more focusedly and still very little airflow went
    through it...

    Then I removed the dust filter and blew directly towards my hand ! It felt
    very cold and strong... then I placed dust filter back and almost nothing.

    So the dust filter is actually blocking 70% to probably a more realistic
    percentage of 90% of airflow ! ;)

    No wonder the fans have to spindle at medium to keep it cool and it still
    barely keeps cool. (Motherboard 45 degrees or so)

    I received an e-mail from somebody asking and wondering how a big case like
    antec1200 could possible still overheat a system.

    Well the answer my dear is a very simple answer:

    "The antec 1200 dust filters block 90% of the airflow !".

    This is very counter productive because now I have to set the airfilters to
    medium (double speed) it sucks in more dust, so filters get filled sooner.

    Ultimately I suspect the dust filters don't help much at all... and dust
    still gets sucked in from all kinds of corridors and such.

    So I am going to do more experimenting with this case.

    This time I will leave the dust filters completely out and I will run it at
    low settings.

    This will probably cool everything inside with ease... also less dust will
    be sucked in and low noise, though I always have airplugs in anyway.

    This is also better for back and top airfan otherwise they also getting
    dusty.

    Hopefully this won't turn my PC into a vacuum cleaner... but it's worth a
    try ! ;) =D

    (I think it will be less than previously because the dust was insane ! ;))

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 26, 2011

  2. Skybuck Flying

    Jasen Betts Guest

    if it felt cold you were doing something wrong, or perhaps you're dead!
    probably closer to 10% you should measure it, and not measure something
    totally unrelated.

    Jasen Betts, May 27, 2011

  3. Now that my PC is working I can clearly feel cold air going into the front
    fans
    and coming out of the front fans even with the dial at diagonal down right.
    (25%)

    I have never felt so much cold air go into my case at even low settings.

    I am gonna try medium settings to feel how cold it gets right now ! ;)

    Yeah with this puppy I could probably freeze my hand off over time lol at
    full settings.

    It makes a huge difference.
    Can't measure it, no measuring equipment, but why measure... the human body
    is marvelous ;)

    Anyway I am 100% convinced this could have been a big problem.

    Now that dust filters are removed the antec 1200 is going to do what it was
    designed for.... keeping stuff cool ! ;)

    Added benefit: air speed much higher thust dust gets no chance to settle and
    gets blown out... makes sense to me ! ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 27, 2011
  4. Also the manual of the antec 1200 case confirms that if the dust filters are
    full this can lead to high system temperatures and system instability.

    So this is known behaviour.

    My recommendation for now would be too simply remove the dust filters all
    together and be on the safe side.

    However I will test what happens if the PC is run without dust filters the
    coming years ;)

    So far I think it's for the better ! ;)

    No more hot systems for me I would think.

    So far when my living room door was open I saw a CPU temperature of 25
    degrees for my 90 watt processor ! ;) This was with case doors open.

    I am now getting close to actually running my system under normal
    circumstances so it will be most interesting to see what a real/normal
    temperature will be ! ;) All this info coming soon near a website near you !
    ;) =D

    Bye,
    Yours truely,
    Skybuck =D

    Skybuck Flying, May 28, 2011
  5. Also I have another little theory:

    The dust filter itself and perhaps in combination with the dust could
    actually heat up the air that goes through the filter because of the
    friction.

    So by using no filters the air stays cool, which should be good, but be
    carefull; too cold might be bad too ;)

    Just lower the fan speed after removing the dust filters and all should be
    good ! ;) :)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 28, 2011
  6. Skybuck Flying

    me Guest

    The grills that cover the output fan on power supplies can block a good
    percentage of air too. Just a little blockage can be enough to raise temps
    within the system.

    me, May 28, 2011

  7. Simply "starteling".

    Bwuahahahahaha!

    I AM THAT I AM, May 28, 2011
  8. Skybuck Flying

    me Guest

    The cooler the better I would say.

    me, May 28, 2011
  9. Common sense...
    Common sense...
    Bad choice...
    Bad choice...
    That's only 77 degrees F. You need to find out what the operating
    temperature range is for your CPU and motherboard. I'm sure they can
    handle a lot more than that.
    Is there some particular reason why you can't simply clean the dust
    filters on some sort of schedule, like once a month maybe? If you even
    remotely think that the dust won't have time to settle because the air
    is flowing faster, you're going to be in for a big surprise. It doesn't
    work that way. Those dust filters are there for a reason, they are also
    named after that reason.

    Norman Peelman, May 28, 2011
  10. You need to look up the definition of 'filter'.

    Norman Peelman, May 28, 2011
  11. After 5 years of using dust filters there was enough dust inside my case to
    fill my entire longs or so !

    So it ain't helping.

    Might as well get rid of it all together and see what happens, so far you
    not explained yourself so I think you full of unfounded fear ! ;) =D

    Bye,
    Skybuck =D

    Skybuck Flying, May 28, 2011
  12. Why ? Filters are not helping, BURN THEM I SAY ! ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 28, 2011
  13. After 5 years of neglect, what did you expect.

    Get a can of compressed air (Dust Remover) for computer/electronic
    use and simply blow the case/filters out once a month. Don't use an air
    compressor unless you have a moisture filter on it.

    Whether you use the filters or not, you are going to need to open the
    case and blow it out on some sort of schedule. Dust will be attracted to
    the electro-magnetic properties of the components inside.

    Norman Peelman, May 29, 2011
  14. Skybuck Flying

    Metspitzer Guest

    They sell canned air at Wal Mart. It is good to clean out an electric
    razor too.

    Metspitzer, May 29, 2011
  15. Skybuck Flying

    GMAN Guest

    Are you fuckin kidding me??? You are supposed to remove and clean these out
    regukarly. Its designed that way.

    Do YOU even bathe???

    GMAN, May 29, 2011
  16. Skybuck Flying

    Bob F Guest

    And only you.

    Visually inspect the heatsinks/fans in a few months. You'll find plenty of dust.

    Bob F, May 30, 2011
  17. Look at the fences in front of the fan blades, it hardly has any dust on it,
    then look behind the filters, huge amounts of dust there...

    that must be telling you something.. though I did clean the fences
    sometimes.

    Anyway I have now cleaned the front fans, I got some nice pictures of it.

    Unfortunately I also break something when cleaning my PC...

    This time I let one of the fans fall onto the table one apperently one of
    the leds broke... at least that's what I think happened.

    So one little blue led not shining, oh poor baby... oh well not to bad ! ;)
    =D

    I wonder if the led can be replaced ! ;) Or perhaps a little tick against it
    might get it working again ? ;)

    I am now in the process of figuring out how to transer my files from my PIII
    to my DreamPC 2006 (I must say, so far I am liking Windows 7 especially with
    the new chipset, everything is working much better, I only wish I had two
    ethernet ports and my file transfer program was working... but besides from
    that I have little complaints so far... except perhaps that file system
    browser/explorer is a bit slow sometimes, and starting programs a bit slow
    sometimes and copieing files seems a bit slow sometimes as well but that
    might be because other things are busy... anyway sleep works too which was
    unexpected and cool to see but I turned it off (it went to sleep after 1
    hour... I can't use that because I want to run programs sometimes for a long
    time ;)but I think I am gonna put windows into sleep mode or so from now on
    it started up real fast... might be special feature of new motherboard... I
    am not yet sure about that ;))

    I think I also noticed the case now working as a "personal cooler" when it's
    on 50% with the filters gone... but maybe I imagined it... I'm not yet sure
    about that, but I think the effect was real ;) I can imagine the whole thing
    working as a big air displacer now ! ;?) yeah.

    During the cleaning of my PC and during the using of my PC I said: "unreal"
    a lot of times... and "that's unreal" and "dude" ! ;) =D

    Bad and Good signs lol.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 30, 2011
  18. Ok,

    I am now mailing from my Windows 7 installation !!!!!!

    It's rocking the craddle ! ;) =D

    This is my very first newsgroup message with it ! ;) =D

    I've been playing Limpbitzkit music a lot, rocking it ! LOL.

    Anyway I just wanted to write that something marvelous has happened:

    "The broken led" has come back online !

    It's now shining again how about that eh ?! ;) =D

    Maybe there was some dust in it or maybe some weird electrical shit... had
    that before...

    Anyway...

    Expression Studio/Web 4.0 installed (previously known as frontpage) so I am
    now ready to make my own new fourth build website showing lot's of pictures
    and maybe even crappy movies ! ;) =D

    I still have to contact electrical people to come check my living room's
    wall power sockets but I will do that later after I cleaned up my house a
    little bit and after I made my website me thinks ! ;) =D

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 31, 2011
  19. Skybuck Flying

    John S Guest

    Before you do anything else, post a picture of your filters, fans, pc,
    room, house, face, etc.

    John S, Jun 1, 2011