    win 95. Would the start-up disk from that system work on the PB?

    Thanks...

    Chuck

    Chuck, Aug 30, 2003

  2. Chuck

    Elector Guest

    Oh Chuck, F8 usually does that trick. or CTL+ALT+DEL or just DEL or
    sometimes F2 I don't have the manual handy for your system.

    Elector

    Elector, Aug 30, 2003

  3. Chuck

    Drydem Guest

    A windows 95 startup disk created on another computer
    should work on your Compaq PC with windows 95 if
    pressing F5 does not get you into safe mode already.
    HTH
    Walter

    Drydem, Aug 31, 2003
  4. (Drydem) wrote in
    And if F5 doesn't get you into Safe Mode, F8 might do the trick. :D

    Scarlet Otter, Aug 31, 2003
  5. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    Actually the pc that will not boot up is a Packard Bell. The one that works
    is a Compaq. I would be making the disk on a Compaq and using it in the
    Packard Bell.
    We just need to get the Packard Bell up long enough to back up some files
    from his business to load them on his new pc.

    Thanks...

    Chuck

    Chuck, Aug 31, 2003
  6. Chuck

    Ben Myers Guest

    As an alternative, assuming that the hard drive in the PB can still be read
    (i.e. partition table not blown away, not totally hosed by viruses, etc.), why
    not pull the PB hard drive, "install" it temporarily as the D: drive in the new
    computer, copy the needed files and remove the PB drive?

    A temporary hard drive installation can be done very simply by putting the new
    computer on its side, and attaching the old hard drive to both drive and power
    cables, after assuring that drive jumpers are set properly. Make sure that the
    PB hard drive sits upside down on the new computer case, so that its circuit
    board is facing up. Placing a live circuit board upside down so that it can
    touch a metal chassis part is a recipe for disaster.

    I do this sort of thing all the time to help clients get their old data from an
    old computer onto a new computer. Unless the computers are already networked,
    this is the quickest and easiest way to do it... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 31, 2003
  7. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    First off the Packard Bell we are talking about is a 486/100 and if I
    remember correctly had something like 40m ram.
    I have never seen the PC before until Friday. I walked in and my friends
    wife was at the PC trying to get it to boot up.

    I showed them that they could order a Dell that was a P4-2.4, 512M Ram, 80
    gig HD, cd-rw, 17" monitor, etc and 4 yr in home warranty for about $1200.

    With a system that old, I think they realize the need in replacing the
    system and not spending time or money trying to make it work.

    I realize the CMOS battery would be a low cost thing to check, but to be
    honest, I didn't even think about putting the old hard drive into the new
    system. That would be a good option I think.

    Thanks for the ideas...

    Chuck

    Chuck, Aug 31, 2003
  8. Chuck

    Elector Guest

    Ha ha its that 4 years of in home warranty that does it to you :)

    Cost of Dell without in home service after 1 year $699 if the link here is
    correct http://www.dell.com/tv may cost a little more with a 17" flat over
    the 15" flat.
    http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?CS=19&kc=6V726&oc=D24TVA
    after I added in the 17" monitor. It has a $100 rebate so the price now is
    $818 after rebate. Seems like a very good deal.

    Elector

    Elector, Aug 31, 2003
  9. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    Well... After I made a couple of changes I got it back up to around $1200!!
    I went with 512m RAM, 17" flat panel, 3.5 floppy and office small business
    package.

    I would think if they are going to use it as a small business PC they might
    want to go with more ram, office SB and a 3.5 floppy. The flat panel would
    be a luxury I guess, but hey, it's their dime!

    I just hope they wait and order a Dell and not go to CompUSA or Best Buy and
    buy a Compaq or HP.

    Chuck

    Chuck, Sep 1, 2003
  10. Chuck

    Elector Guest

    I went to CompUSA and bought a new HP Ze4420US to replace my older Dell and
    Sony Vaio. I was surprised at how much computer I received for a small
    price. The service at Dell was terrible and I remembered that I always had
    good luck with HP it would seem when HP bought out Compaq the service level
    went to the toilet. In all fairness the HP guys did offer to replace the
    unit in 3 business days. Then out of the blue the damn touchpad which had a
    problem suddenly started working again when I entered Canada for vacation.
    Strange. Ben Myers was trying to figure out what the problem was. As did I.
    Strange indeed.

    $1159 with a $100 rebate. Then I paid for an external wireless router and
    cardbus $279 then a new Logitech Camera for laptops $110 and I picked up
    another 256 MB ram for $59 and I have the additional USB hub, the laptop
    light, the thumb drive, the usb mouse, the external full size keyboard and
    total that up with an additional battery and don't count the additional
    software and its around $2000.00 but its only money. Ha ha

    Elector

    Elector, Sep 1, 2003
  11. Chuck

    tldr

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    had to register to reply :mad:

    I dntk how old old this thread is and also tl:dr it but if you ever struggle to safe mode crash the computer (eg take battery off ... or whateva its not hard to crash a pc lol)

    tldr, Jan 21, 2011