Startup disk disappeared momentarily

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Evan Z, Sep 29, 2007.

  1. Evan Z

    Evan Z Guest

    Hi all,

    Prior to backing up my hard disk this morning (iMac G5, 10.4.10), I ran
    disk utility from the OS X DVD. I'd decided to run disk utility after my
    computer shut down for no apparent reason earlier this week. I think it
    was because the electricity flickered in my apartment, but I'm not sure.
    I'd previously run Apple's Hardware test and it found no problems.

    Anyway, I ran disk repair, and no repairs were necessary, so I quit and
    opened up Startup Disk, and my startup disk (the internal hard drive)
    wasn't listed as an option. I opened up disk utility again, and my
    startup disk was grayed out. This is the same disk I'd just been told
    needed no repairs. Now I couldn't select it at all.

    I restarted the computer--it started up automatically from the OS X
    DVD--and my startup disk was no longer grayed out, and all is running
    fine right now.

    Does anyone have any idea what might have caused this? Is it a sign that
    something is seriously wrong with either software or hardware?

    Thanks for any thoughts!
    -ez

    Evan Z, Sep 29, 2007