    the application name and none are found so I'm perplexed. Any help
    would be greatly appreciated.

    Cheers, Bill Law :)

    Bill Law, Oct 23, 2004

  2. Bill Law

    James Meiss Guest

    Its probable that there is an application in the directory
    /Library/StartupItems/, or less likely in /System/Library/StartupItems.

    Remove that and you should be okay.

    James Meiss, Oct 23, 2004

  3. Bill Law

    Bill Law Guest

    Our system does not have a /Library/StartupItems folder. There is a
    /System/Library/StartupItems folder with lots in it but none of the
    files are new and none of them have a name appropriate for this scanning
    software and none of their contents contain "scan".

    Is there any other place that could be causing this? I was wondering
    about the invisible Unix script files whose names start with a dot but
    searching invisible files doesn't turn up anything either. Since the
    application that is run at startup has the full name "Microtek Scanner
    Finder" wouldn't something have to reference that full name?

    Cheers, Bill Law :)

    Bill Law, Oct 24, 2004
  4. Bill Law

    Tom Stiller Guest

    Beginning with panther Apple introduced a new method for managing
    Startup Items. From your description, it sounds as if the installer
    placed a plist file in '/etc/mach_init_per_user.d'.

    I believe the only file installed in that directory by Apple is
    'MirrorAgent.plist'; anything else was probably installed by some third
    party application/installer.

    Tom Stiller, Oct 24, 2004
  5. Bill Law

    Bill Law Guest

    Oops, you made me realize I forgot to mention the OS we're running. You
    are right, it is Panther 10.3.5.

    There are no other files in '/etc/mach_init_per_user.d' and no apparent
    changes to MirrorAgent.plist. That file is dated 04Feb04. Are there
    other places this could be hiding?

    Cheers, Bill :)

    Bill Law, Oct 24, 2004
  6. Bill Law

    Tom Stiller Guest

    None that I know of, but then that's not saying very much ;)

    Tom Stiller, Oct 24, 2004
  7. [snip]

    It might help if you knew the name of the software running;
    in the terminal window, when logged in as the admin user, do

    ps -aux | more

    and see if you can identify the name of the process responsible.
    Searching for that string in various places such as /etc/hostconfig,
    /Library/StartupItems, etc., might yield better results.

    David C. Stone, Oct 25, 2004