    also confused as to whether I should first uninstall 21.83? If I do
    so, what will be the status when my XP Home PC reboots?

    All help gratefully received.

    Terry Pinnell, Apr 10, 2005

  2. Terry Pinnell

    MrGrumpy Guest

    I take it you didnt see fit to read the 'how to install' on Nvidia site

    MrGrumpy, Apr 10, 2005

  3. Well, you take it wrong then. If the information there was clear,
    consistent and unambiguous then I wouldn't be asking. I'd have thought
    that was fairly obvious from the points I raised.

    Terry Pinnell, Apr 10, 2005
  4. Terry Pinnell

    DaveL Guest

    Use "add remove programs" in control panel and uninstall the old driver.
    Reboot and cancel through all attempts by plug and play to load a driver.
    Then run the new driver executable and follow the instructions. After
    rebooting, go into display properties and set things like screen resolution
    and refresh rate.

    DaveL

    DaveL, Apr 10, 2005
  5. Many thanks.

    Will I be able to use the 'Revert to previous driver' option if
    necessary after using that procedure please?

    That phrase 'cancel through all attempts by plug and play to load a
    driver' makes me a bit apprehensive, but I expect it will be
    straightforward in practice?

    Terry Pinnell, Apr 10, 2005
  6. Terry Pinnell

    DaveW Guest

    Yes, first Uninstall the old driver. Then reboot the computer and it will
    start up using a built in generic VGA driver that works for all video cards.
    Then perform the install of the new driver. That's it.

    DaveW, Apr 11, 2005
  7. Terry Pinnell

    McGrandpa Guest

    Yes. As DaveL said, when you uninstall the drivers and reboot, the
    system will come up in VGA mode using a very basic universal driver for
    all cards. XP will also want to immediately install a driver itself,
    and this dialog you cancel. I've seen up to 3 times I've had to hit
    cancel, normally it's twice. Then you get the desktop. Don't be
    alarmed, it's VGA and likely no more than 800x600 though I used to get
    640x480-16 color all the time. Now you execute the nVidia installer
    package for the driver set you downloaded. Accept the EULA, allow it
    to put its files into a folder somewhere. It will unpack the files then
    install and register them. When it's all done, you reboot again. Make
    your settings changes for resolution and color. When all is
    satisfactory to you and it appears your system works well with the
    drivers, and the programs and games run fine with them...you can then
    delete the folder that the driver set created to run/install the files
    from.

    Since I change out video cards and switch drivers kind of often, I keep
    those. But I have them installed to a particular place [C:\Program
    Files\Nvidia Corporation\Win2KXP\61.77, 67.03, 71.84] as example. But
    it's really not necessary, I do it as a convenience for me. Also,
    they're not 'installed' per se there, they are simply unpacked in their
    respective folders.

    It really is a fairly straightforward process. You UNinstall the old
    driver through ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS, reboot. On bootup, cancel the
    dialog(s) to install drivers. Once you have the desktop (and no more
    dialogs), you run the new driver installer package. That's it. :)
    McG.

    McGrandpa, Apr 11, 2005
  8. It really is a fairly straightforward process. You UNinstall the old
    It used to be that most people suggested using programs to remove remnants
    of the old driver. Is that unnecessary now?

    Mr. Brian Allen, Apr 11, 2005
  9. Terry Pinnell

    McGrandpa Guest

    It's been a rare thing going from nvidia card and driver to a new card
    and driver to need something like that. When an uninstall/install goes
    pear shaped, then it's needful to remove the scraps and clean the
    registry. There are 'scrubbers' for both nvidia and ati drivers on
    their sites.

    Normally, uninstalling a 'healthy' driver set then installing a new one
    works with no problems.

    McG.

    McGrandpa, Apr 11, 2005
  10. Thanks very much for the follow-ups, particularly that comprehensive
    detailed step-by-step from McGrandpa. I now feel much more confident.

    My only remaining hesitation is down to a different issue. I suspect
    my monitor is on the blink. I first posted about this in: 'Playing DVD
    switches monitor ON/OFF'. But I'm now pretty sure it's a *hardware*
    failure of the 19" Mitsubushi Diamondtron 920, (maybe triggered by
    some programs more than others). Last night I swapped it for my old
    17" IIyama VisionMaster Pro 400, and - although it's a bit premature
    to draw any firm conclusion - so far I've had no repetition of the
    problem (sudden switching on/off of power). So at present my monitor
    appears as 'Default Monitor', and I'm considering my options.

    The obvious one is to try to get Mitsubishi to replace it again (it's
    a refurbished monitor, following the failure of the original just
    inside its guarantee in November). Is it necessary to wait until the
    'new' monitor is present before installing the new driver?

    Another option is to yield to growing temptation to buy a flat screen
    display. If I go that route, are there any special driver needs
    please? Or will the 45.33 be OK?

    Thanks for the help, which is much appreciated.

    Terry Pinnell, Apr 11, 2005
  11. Terry Pinnell

    McGrandpa Guest

    From the manufacturers sites you should be able to download the .inf
    file for the monitors you're using. These will provide better timing
    info than the default windows 'drivers' (.inf also). You can use the
    45.33 driver set, but for improvments to the overall control applett I'd
    suggest 53.03 or higher. Nvidias driver sets are downward compatible
    all the way back to the TnT based cards. It won't hurt for you to use
    the very latest set, your MX440 is covered as well as my 6800GT.
    When you get the *.inf file for your monitor, just right click on it and
    select INSTALL. Windows puts it into a particular place and registers
    the info. It's not much, these .inf files are very tiny.
    You're welcome!
    McG.

    McGrandpa, Apr 11, 2005
  12. Terry Pinnell

    rms Guest

    Yes. As DaveL said, when you uninstall the drivers and reboot, the system
    BEWARE OF THE NIGHTMARE SCENARIO, which in fact happened to me:

    1) uninstalled the nvidia driver.
    2) rebooted.
    3) Black Screen Of Death. Monitor Wouldn't Turn On.
    4) F8 VGA-only and Safe Mode both worked, but worthless as no way to install
    drivers
    5) Resorted to Repair Install of Windows.

    MORAL OF THE STORY:
    Set the videodriver to Microsoft VGA *before* uninistalling nvidia drivers.
    This is similar to the mandate of setting the HD controller to the builtin
    MS driver before swapping motherboards.

    rms

    rms, Apr 11, 2005
  13. Terry Pinnell

    rms Guest

    So at present my monitor
    See if you can find your specific monitor in Add Hardware, or get the
    ..inf from mitsubishi.

    rms

    rms, Apr 11, 2005
  14. Terry Pinnell

    DaveL Guest

    You must have had something screwed up beforehand because simply
    uninstalling the video driver and rebooting should force windows to
    automatically fall back to VGA mode.

    DaveL

    DaveL, Apr 11, 2005
  15. Terry Pinnell

    McGrandpa Guest

    Especially so for XP.

    McGrandpa, Apr 11, 2005
  16. Thanks. Managed to sort this a while later, without downloading
    further drivers. The key step I'd missed when using the Update Driver
    dialog in XP was to uncheck the 'Show compatible devices' box. Must
    say it seems sort of counter-intuitive to me, as I *do* want to use
    'compatible' monitors! I suppose it means 'compatible with Default
    Monitor', not 'compatible with your PC'? With it checked, I was
    offered only one other option: Plug 'n Play. Anyway, with it
    unchecked, a full list appeared, from which I selected my IIyama
    VisionMaster Pro 400.

    Can't say I've so far noticed any visible difference though. I'm still
    using same resolution (1024x768) and same 85 Hz refresh rate. But from
    your comments above, I'm sure there are some subtle 'timing'
    improvements.

    Of course, I'm now using a 5 year old 17" CRT instead of the 3-4 year
    old 19", so I'm not especially happy. And I'm having second thoughts
    about a 17" LCD. For a start, I see that quite a proportion of users
    believe some aspects of performance is arguably inferior to CRT. But
    the main snag is that I've just learned that you should only use
    'native resolution'. So far all the 17" models I've seen advertised
    have native resolution of 1280x1024. That's fine for my son, but not
    for me!

    On the other side of the coin, that 19" (which I've just struggled
    downstairs with and out to the shed) is one heck of a size and weight.
    It would only just fit onto my desk with room for the keyboard and gel
    pad in front. And specs of replacements show no reduction in size.
    Whatever happened to the march of technology in this area? <g>

    Terry Pinnell, Apr 11, 2005
  17. Terry Pinnell

    McGrandpa Guest

    That big glass cathode ray tube (CRT) is still a big ol thing of heavy
    glass :)
    Conversely; my 19" Envision LCD you can literally carry easily in one
    hand, even has a built in hand hold in back of the top. It also sits
    several inches further back than the front of a 19" crt would be on the
    desk.
    With a 19" monitor, what resolution are you happy running in? Sure, the
    Envision is 1280x1024 native, but does 1024x768 very well also, using
    monitor scaling. Its response time is 24ms, and that's slow for gaming.
    But it doesn't stop me from gaming. I play Half Life 2 Deathmatch
    online and don't even notice the 'ghosting'...and I know it's there.
    March of technology? It's in flat panel displays! TFT is the 'thing'
    right now, maybe tomorrow there will be a breakthrough in gas plasma and
    we'll all have a 24" for $299!!
    McG.

    McGrandpa, Apr 12, 2005
  18. I'm still on the fence. Maybe I'll take my time, as this 17" CRT isn't
    al that bad. I use 1024x768, which is fine. 1280x1024 gives text that
    is just that bit too small for me to read for hours. Reckon the next
    step is to get out and see a few 17" LCDs at 1024x768!

    Terry Pinnell, Apr 12, 2005