steps towards industrial design

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Stephen Thomas, May 20, 2005.

  1. Could anyone test the even distribution of power from a PIC based white
    noise generator? It would be great to hear from somebody with an audio
    workshop....

    More generally I am very interested in joining forces with one or two
    embedded engineers (possibly around the world communicating by email type
    platforms) to build industrial experience

    So far I have been completing a number of PIC and 68HC11 based embedded
    projects programming in C and assembler. Although I find these chips a bit
    limited and would be interested in working on other platforms too. I have
    built on experience as an
    electronics grad in the Sound and instrumentation industry to give familiar
    themes (signal generators, professional Peak meters, function
    generators, combination locks, bit streaming D to A converter) a bit of a
    twist( for example especially eliminating precision rectifiers and other
    associated hardware). I am
    building a portfolio of chips that contain these programs that I will
    advertise on my website, I have got quite a long way (eg working and tested
    programs) with 6 or so designs already, although as to how to market these
    (if there is a
    market!) I have no idea (are there any people that already supply such
    devices that can make any suggestions?).

    Regarding how I would fit into such a community, I suppose it would be great
    to get some of my designs built into prototypes and tested and receive
    constructive criticism. I would be very happy to do (myself) for others,
    some code monkey donkey work, to muddle my animal analogies a bit (writing
    small bits of code, developing sub-assembly building blocks, testing
    software etc, researching and testing analogue interface designs). I am
    especially interested in projects with "real world" objectives (e.g. diesel
    engine control) or educational, scientific, democratic or ecological
    objectives. There would have to be a fair way of distributing any profits
    fame and adulation (don't hold your breath!) but I for one don't get too
    hung up on this - my local job just about pays the rent and I would be happy
    just to gain industrial experience in a more friendly context than..um
    .....industry. (I am also interested - but would have even more to learn
    about - DSP platforms). Also Are there any (perhaps college based)
    microcontroller clubs that any one knows of?

    I would love to hear from anyone about the specific question or with related
    requirements, experiences or suggestions about the more general ones.
    Steve - South London,

    Stephen Thomas, May 20, 2005

  2. Stephen Thomas

    rossc Guest

    Stephen,
    You seem like someone who could help out here...I have a 68HC711 and
    am trying everything to write to the on board EEPROM. While I'm an
    accomplished C programmer, I'm new at the 68HC711 and have to get
    something going. Got any examples I could use.

    On your quest to get involved in the Industrial Process Control
    market, I may be able to help you out there....I've been around a bit,
    like all over the world (Hibernia, UK, Sahara, India, Ghana, UAE,
    Argentina) as a Control SYstems startup engineer on multi million $
    projects. This was based on my long background in Control Systems
    Software Development and Field Engineering. I have been (and still am)
    involved in numerous industrial product developments with micro
    controller based solutions. I have a few ideas of what is practical and
    what concepts will be marketable and how to implement them in small
    micros. At the moment I am intrigued by the TI MSP430 as it comes in a
    very small (4mm square) SMT package and is immensly powerful, low
    power, and low cost. I have a development system at home and found them
    to be very easy to work with ....worth trying. I just haven't managed
    to persuade anyone to use them yet.
    If you are interested maybe we could get something going. I'm in
    canada.

    In the meantime, I sure would appreciate it if you would lead me to
    anything that can help me meet my immediate challenge of getting this
    old 68HC711E9 to actually work ....and write to its EEPROM.

    Thank,
    Ross Cameron

    rossc, May 20, 2005

  3. I have decent equipment, but nothing that would do that easily. However,
    depending on the bandwidth and degree of precision you need, you might
    consider:
    - recording the white noise (with a flat-response mike, e.g. a
    good-quality electret, and a good sound card) into a PC, and running the
    resulting .wav through some signal analysis code. Cooledit (etc) has some
    spectrum analysis facilities (including, IIRC, power).
    - brute force approach: acquire/build a VCF with a sharp Q, and sweep it
    while measuring the results on e.g. a scope. You'll need to do some maths to
    convert amplitude to power.
    I'm intrigued. I'm an electronics product designer, mostly working in
    embedded hardware/software (mostly bare-metal), largely in process control &
    comms (also audio). I'm on the South Coast of the UK. Not exactly sure what
    you're after - but if a part-time mentor is of any use, I suspect I'd enjoy
    it.

    Steve
    http://www.sfdesign.co.uk
    http://www.fivetrees.com