Still in need of Dell branded Media Center Edition 2005..

Discussion in 'Dell' started by allegro, Mar 8, 2005.

  1. allegro

    allegro Guest

    Hi,

    I'm still very interested in a copy of the Dell branded Windows XP Media
    Center Edition 2005 disc.
    If you've read the other growing thread, you'll see i've tried everything to
    get
    Dell send me a replacement disc, which they refuse/don't for unknown
    reasons..
    I also tried cleaning/recovering the disc and the data on it, even 2
    computer stores did everything they could think of.. Didn't work..

    I also have to mention i have original (defective) Dell MCE2005 disc, cdkey
    and licence and the assurance of MS i'm OK with any downloaded or borrowed
    copy of MCE2005, as long as i have the licence, key and orig. disc. They
    say, it does have to be a Dell copy, not regular OEM to be legit..

    So, if someone on this group does have a copy of MCE 2005 from Dell, and is
    willing to upload it to a newsgroup or my XDrive account, that would be
    great..

    Best would be the Dutch copy, but any other is fine also i guess.

    It's been a month or so, and i'm getting very tired of Dell's response (or
    lack of it..) It's really frustrating me..

    So, maybe someone here could help me out. I'm willing to pay a small fee for
    the upload if wanted..

    Thanks in advance,

    Allegro.

    XDrive account
    http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ3YWUu5Ek
    User:
    Pass: upload

    allegro, Mar 8, 2005

  2. And are you going to continue posting this here on a daily basis
    until someone sends you what you are demanding?

    You're starting to become like a two- or three-year old - "I'm
    gonna stand in front of you and hold my breath and turn blue
    until you give me a cookie".

    Ogden Johnson III, Mar 8, 2005

  3. allegro

    allegro Guest

    Hi,

    Thanks for such a helpfull post, just what i need..
    The only reason i posted this question here, is because some people on this
    group are much more help than i got from Dell.
    If Dell would support their customers, i wouldn't have to ask here..

    P.S: I'm not demanding anything, just hoping someone could help me out since
    Dell isn't..
    P.S2: But if you have a helpfull suggestion how to obtain a copy, that would
    be great.. Since i can't get it from Dell, it seems..

    Allegro.

    allegro, Mar 8, 2005
  4. allegro

    RRR_News Guest

    allegro,
    I don't think anyone in this newsgroup, will send you a copy of their Dell
    Restore CD. First of all, if they sent you a non-Dutch version of the CD,
    your COA #, should not work with it. In addition there are software
    regulations about exporting software to other countries that readers that
    read this newsgroup, don't want to get involved with.

    You never said why Dell would not offer a replacement CD. If it is similar
    to the 30 day rule for replacement of software, that is here in the US. You
    may just be out of luck, and will need to buy a new copy of the OS CD from
    Microsoft. Dell is now shipping some models of their PC's, with the
    restore/recovery cd image on a hidden partition on the HDD, and not shipping
    a restore/recovery CD with it. You can request a CD from them at this time.
    But I am guessing that may change in the future. But I believe that they
    will need a way for you to make a backup CD of the hidden partition, similar
    what companies like Compaq has done for years. So individuals that purchase
    a Dell now and in the future, better first check if this set-up is on their
    computer. And follow instructions to create a back-up CD, which should be
    offered. Before reformatting/partitioning the HDD, like many do right out of
    the box.

    Since the Dell site for the Netherlands, does not offer a forum page on
    their website. You can try using the forums on the US website, to post your
    request there. Dell customer service does watch those forums, and has helped
    people with some of their problems, who posted there. No guarantee, that can
    help you, but it can't hurt to try.

    --

    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>

    RRR_News, Mar 8, 2005
  5. allegro

    allegro Guest

    Hi,

    Thanks for the reply.
    I can understand some people might don't want to send their copy of the
    disc, because of exporting regulations and laws.
    I didn't thought of that, because some of those laws and regulations don't
    apply to the Netherlands. (Some are even "illegal")
    Besides that, MS or at least MS Support Staff told me that if i have a orig.
    disc, cdkey and licence, i could just use any Dell MCE2005 version i can get
    my hands on..
    The same goes for the Dutch/other versions, i assumed any copy means any
    copy.. But maybe i'm wrong..
    But i could also only those 12mb of needed files would work to convert a non
    Dell disc to a Dell version..
    But, yes a Dutch version would be the best option.. Uploaded, or send by
    regular mail.. Then there should be no problem anyway, i guess..

    Well, the problem is Dell didn't specify that precisely why i couldn't get a
    replacement, only that "i should have got one with my system", which i did..
    Only the disc was bad, which i told them..
    There was something in one of the phone conversations about a software term,
    but i didn't really think much of it.. Do they want us to reinstall and find
    out in 30 days?
    I paid for the OS, and now they don't support me? If there is really no way
    to get a Dell copy, they force me to download a pirated copy of a regular
    MCE2005..
    I don't pay twice for something that should have worked in the first place..

    There was no restore partition on it, i checked.. Only a util partition of
    40mb. Next time i first Ghost the drive, then try to backup the OS cd..
    But in the meantime, i just hope someone could help me..

    I also already posted on the Dell forum, and contacted Dell US in the past.
    Dell US can't help me, because they use a separate system.

    Thanks,

    Allegro.

    allegro, Mar 8, 2005
  6. allegro

    Hank Arnold Guest

    Dell will help you because Dell is perfect and the greatest PC maker ever!
    The give their customer excellent support.

    Hank Arnold, Mar 8, 2005
  7. allegro

    RRR_News Guest

    allegro,
    1. What model of Dell PC do you have? Now I can't read Dutch, but I just
    look over the Dell website for the Netherlands. I don't see any Dimension,
    Optiplex models offering that version of Windows XP MCE2005. They only offer
    WinXP Home or Pro, or Linux on some Precision models. You never mentioned if
    you bought directly from Dell, or a third party vendor, such as an
    electronics store or online. If it was from a third party vendor, they may
    have installed a pirated copy of that Windows XP MCE2005 version, and
    shipped a defective CD with it.

    2. Companies like MS, have chosen to try to protect themselves, in the way
    they create their products. Such as the activation requirement starting with
    WinXP. In addition, there are many versions of a Windows OS, some purely
    based on language requirements, but many based on regulations, concerning
    exports of technology. I would not recommend you to download pirated files,
    or files from a different version of XP. Many individuals who tried to
    upgrade to XP SP2, found out that they couldn't, until the bought legal
    copies. And soon, MS will require its non corporate users to have SP2
    installed, to get upgrades and hotfixes for XP.

    3. You do not own your Windows OS, but lease it. Now if you bought the MS
    version Windows OS CD, you are leasing the OS from MS. They have chosen to
    support the lease, at least in the US, by allowing replacing the CD disc,
    for a nominal fee if lost or damaged. But you need to be able to provide
    proof of ownership for the damaged/lost CD. Now they may have stopped this
    service for earlier versions of Windows OS's, you may not be able to get
    replacement CD's (floppies) for Windows 3.1, or Win95/98 in future years.

    4. The OEM version of your Windows OS, is provided Dell under agreement with
    MS, at a lower cost, so you are leasing it from Dell. They choose only to
    offer a 30 day replacement or warranty for those CD's. Where companies like
    Compaq, have used a hidden partition on their HDD's, that contain the OS
    files for reinstallation. If you bought the PC from a third party vendor,
    other than Dell directly, then they and not Dell are responsible for
    replacement CD's, if available.

    I know that I have bought early Xmas presents for friends and family, months
    before the holiday. Knowing full well, when I give them the present, that
    the item cannot be returned, because the store's return period might have
    past. If the item doesn't work right out of the box. I on my way back to the
    store to pay for another Xmas gift, to replace it.

    If you read Compaq newsgroups or forums over the years, I bet you find many
    postings, "my hard drive failed, I replaced it. Now I don't have the
    replacement files for the OS". You don't need to replace the OS on your new
    PC, to check if the CD works, all you need to do is to place CD in CD Drive,
    and see if it can read the files off the CD.

    --

    Click on Link to Add MS to your News Reader: news://msnews.microsoft.com

    RRR_News, Mar 9, 2005
  8. allegro

    allegro Guest

    Hi,

    I have a Dimension 8400 i bought directly from Dell, so the MCE2005 option
    was once there.
    I just checked, and you're right, it's gone.. No idea where it went.. But,
    i'm afraid, since it not on the site anymore i could have a real problem
    obtaining it from Dell at this moment..
    But the disc in front of me is looking somewhat the same as my regular Dell
    Win XP disc, except it's labeled:
    "BESTURINGSSYSTEEM. REEDS OP UW COMPUTER GEINSTALLEERD. DVD voor opnieuw
    installeren Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005", it has a Dell
    logo on it, P/N, etc.. (-OS, allready installed, reinstall dvd..-)

    Well, i never tried to use a pirated version for an extended time, only when
    it was a last temp resort.. But at least they worked for the time that i
    needed them, but other than that i use retail and OEM discs..
    Or, try to since the Dell MCE doesn't work.. But it's untrue it's a problem
    to install a pirated SP2 version, i had to for a friend, it's been running
    ever since. Just use a good patch to bypass activation..
    Anything that can be made, can be cracked.. (For every developer, there are
    100 willing to crack it)
    But, that's not really the point right now, since i need a copy of the orig
    Dell version.

    As i've said, MS doesn't support a OEM Dell disc. And Dell doesn't seem to
    support it even.
    But, i never really got the fact they supported the OS for only 30 days..
    What's that all about? I bought 3 years of warranty, i'd think the OS should
    at least get a year..
    If i can't get a copy from someone here (uploaded or regular mail), i might
    have to check what my options are.. This doesn't comply with Dutch
    law -warranty/support must be provided for a reasonable time, so 1 to 2
    years at least....-

    On the Xmas thing, your right.. But i only buy things a few days/weeks
    before Xmas, so no problem returning it.

    And well, it might be stupid i didn't backup first or create a copy of the
    cd, but i had no idea the cd itself would not work while it was never been
    used..

    So, i still hope someone could upload the disc or the needed files.. I guess
    the whole disc is a bit much to ask for (it can take some time to upload the
    rar's to a newsgroup or my XDrive account..

    However, those 12mb of Dell files should get me on my way, together with the
    regular OEM disc i have here. It converts it mostly to a Dell copy, (cdkey,
    activation, etc)..
    That would take only a few minutes to upload, so if you can't upload the
    whole disc, that 12mb of files would really help me..

    THanks for any help,

    Allegro.

    XDrive account
    http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ3YWUu5Ek
    User:
    Pass: upload

    Best would be full (Dutch) disc, other wise 12mb of needed files would help:

    The files i need from the Dell labeled MCE2005 cd:

    -------- The needed files ---------
    In folder \I386:
    DPCDLL.DL_
    EULA.TXT
    NT5INF.CA_
    OEMBIOS.BI_
    OEMBIOS.CA_
    OEMBIOS.DA_
    OEMBIOS.SI_
    PIDGEN.DLL
    SETUPP.INI
    SETUPREG.HIV
    UNATTEND.TXT
    WINNT.SIF

    In folder I386\WIN9XUPG:
    WIN95UPG.INF

    Then you could archive it with Winzip or WinRar.

    You could create a batchfile that copies the needed files, from in my case
    the G: drive (cd-rom) to the folder C:\XPbios.

    Copy and paste this to a new txtfile (notepad) :

    @ECHO OFF
    :START
    MKDIR C:\XPbios
    MKDIR C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG
    COPY G:\I386\DPCDLL.DL_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    COPY G:\I386\EULA.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    COPY G:\I386\NT5INF.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.BI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.CA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.DA_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    COPY G:\I386\OEMBIOS.SI_ "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    COPY G:\I386\PIDGEN.DLL "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    COPY G:\I386\SETUPP.INI "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    COPY G:\I386\SETUPREG.HIV "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    COPY G:\I386\WIN9XUPG\WIN95UPG.INF "C:\XPbios\WIN9XUPG\" /Y /V
    COPY G:\I386\UNATTEND.TXT "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V
    COPY G:\I386\WINNT.SIF "C:\XPbios\" /Y /V

    Save as for instance XPbios.bat -you may have to edit location of cd and
    folder-, then save it and double cick it..

    On C:\ there is a new folder created called XPbios with the needed files,
    you can now use WinZip or WinRar and upload it to
    http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ3YWUu5Ek

    gg, Mar 9, 2005
  10. allegro

    allegro Guest

    Hi,

    As an update, i took a picture of the cd with my piece of crap camera.. It's
    not much, but i don't have a scanner.
    I tried to get a picture of the cdkey at the side of the system, but i can't
    get enough light there. (Or i'll have to pull the whole system out..)
    If i use flash i get a too light picture, if i use other lights it's too
    dark..

    Still hope someone could help me out with this.. A Dutch uploaded copy would
    be best, but other languages would work also..
    Or just those 12mb of files.. I'm willing to pay a small fee for it.. It's
    also possible to send it by regular mail..

    Thanks,

    Allegro.

    My defective cd: http://img87.exs.cx/img87/1228/dutchdellmce1bg.jpg

    XDrive account:
    http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ3YWUu5Ek
    User:
    Pass: upload

    P.S: If no one is willing to upload, could someone tell me where to find a
    Dell copy on Ebay or that sort of sites for a reasonable price? (Dutch or
    UK)

    allegro, Mar 9, 2005
  11. Even if you bought a legitimate MS full copy of WinXP, free
    support would only last 30 days. A window [pun intended] while
    you get Winwhatever set up. After that 30 days, the only support
    available from MS is fee-based [$29.00 per incident the only time
    I had to call MS/Dell {disremember which it was}], with the tech
    authorized to waive the charge if it resulted from a bug in
    Windows, etc. [Mine was user stupidity, so I didn't even ask for
    a waiver.]

    The days of free support from major software publishers are long
    gone.

    [Mind wandering back to yesteryear and the DOS days, when
    WordPerfect Corp offered free 800 number support with no
    questions asked on where/how you got your copy of WordPerfect.]

    Ogden Johnson III, Mar 9, 2005
  12. allegro

    allegro Guest

    Hi,

    Since no one seems to have it at the moment, i'll just wait if someone
    replies and is willing to upload. Otherwise i just have to post this request
    again.
    Since i really wanted the system to run, i had to resort to a pirated copy..
    I'm not very happy with that, but since no one will upload atm..
    I just have to wait and see if someone would be so nice here to help me out,
    since i know this isn't running a legal copy.
    Running a Dell copy with my orig. Dell key and licence is..
    But at least i have it running for now, although i would feel better with a
    Dell copy..
    Hi,

    Still hope someone could help me out with this.. A Dutch uploaded copy would
    be best, but other languages would work also..
    Or just those 12mb of files to change a regular in a Dell copy.. I'm willing
    to pay a small fee for it.. It's
    also possible to send it by regular mail.. (Or usenet)

    Thanks,

    Allegro.

    I picture i took with my budget camera of my defective copy (Dutch):

    allegro, Mar 10, 2005
  13. allegro

    boldmen Guest

    allegro formuleerde de vraag :
    Hallo Allegro,

    Ik krijg kromme tenen als ik zie hoe men
    reageert, ik heb net een mail naar ons
    Hoofdkantoor in Belgïe gestuurd.
    Daar hebben ze alleeen maar Dell computers en ik
    heb gevraagd of zij deze cd al dan niet in het
    nederlands hebben liggen.
    Ik hou je op de hoogte of ze daar mee willen
    werken.

    Boldmen.

    boldmen, Mar 13, 2005
  14. allegro

    allegro Guest

    Hoi,

    Bedankt voor je bericht.
    Hier in de groep wil men wel meewerken, maar heeft men de cd niet.
    Het vreemde is, dat hij ook niet meer op de NL site van Dell staat.. Hij
    stond er dus wel toen ik hem bestelde..
    Maar ik kom al een heel end met een Engelse versie desnoods.. Met bepaalde
    bestanden van de Dell UK MCE2005, kan ik van een normale Nederlandse OEM een
    Dell kopie maken.
    Iets minder legaal als een gewone kopie, maar het werkt..

    Groet,

    Allegro.

    allegro, Mar 13, 2005
  15. allegro

    allegro Guest

    Hi,

    I wanted to update this thread, since i called Dell again today.
    After been connected many times with diferent support personel, finally got
    some confirmation:
    The software return period (still not sure if it's 21 or 30 days) is the
    reason i don't get a replacement.
    Besides that, they removed MCE2005 from the software list, because they only
    got a few orders and most people only want XP Home or Pro.

    So, i guess this means i can forget any help from Dell.. I also mailed
    Michael Dell himself, but i think even he can't help me if they dropped
    support for MCE2005 in the Netherlands..
    This seems to me like a total lack of service and support, even if i'm
    willing to pay big bucks Dell can't help me.. I thought they should at least
    have a few copies of MCE2005 (Dutch) in the factory.

    So, unless someone was lucky enough to get a Dutch Dell copy of Windows XP
    Media Center Edition 2005 disc, and is willing to upload or mail it by
    regular mail.. I can just use any Dell copy of MCE2005.. Does not matter if
    it's UK, US or any other language..

    Uploading the full copy would be best, but if that's too much too ask, about
    12mb of needed files would convert any regular OEM copy to a Dell copy..
    Only thing is, i don't know the precise directory structure and label
    (discname) anymore.. Somene could help me out? Anything i missed?
    I tried cleaning the Dell dvd again, tried to polish it, but it was a bit
    too much i guess.. Now i only get a "no disc" message after a few minutes..
    But, since i never written down the directory structure or label/name of the
    disc, i just have no idea what is on the Dell disc that's not on the regular
    OEM?
    I did not do a side by side comparison, but the 2cd's of the regular OEM are
    800mb together, the Dell disc was larger if i remember correctly..
    So, if someone could list the cdlabel and directory structure that would be
    great..

    To upload the full disc or the 12mb of needed files -specified below- (and
    maybe the content i'm missing), you can use any binaries newsgroup or my
    XDrive account:
    http://plus.xdrive.com/u/112739331/716516443y8eBnVQtnLQ3YWUu5Ek
    User:
    Pass: upload

    So, maybe someone here could help me out. I'm willing to pay a small fee for
    the upload if wanted..

    Thanks in advance,

    Allegro.

    My Dell copy (now it's in much worser shape)

    allegro, Mar 14, 2005