    for it'll take an hour or so to download.. Any Help here would be Greatly
    Appreciated..

    Lightnen

    Lightnen, Jun 4, 2004

  2. Lightnen

    patrickp Guest

    I presume you mean DirectX, Lightnen. Depends. If you want to play
    current games and get the best from your card then, yes, you do need
    DX9.x. If you're just using a word processor and playing the
    occasional solitaire game then no, you don't. Your decision. Might
    be worth getting broadband. ;-)

    patrickp

    - take five to email me

    patrickp, Jun 5, 2004

  3. Lightnen

    Lightnen Guest

    Well Patrickp, broadbands not an oppion here, I'm in country and ol Ma Bell
    dones't seem to want to bring it this away. So have to be content with dial
    up for now..
    Anyways I'm going to try the newest vid drivers for this 9600pro and see if
    it helps any. Now when I get black screen and wait say 30 or 40 seconds
    picture comes back but looks like windows are in safe mode. I hear a lick
    like the cards switching or something.. This is very peculiar for sure..
    I've played Black Hawk down a few times with no problems so figure it must
    be something in Window Xp. If all else fails I guess I'll have to reformat
    this thing if nothing else works for me.. But thats only at last resort..

    Lightnen, Jun 5, 2004
  4. Lightnen

    patrickp Guest

    Actually, that's a point, Lightnen, most of the more recent Catalyst
    drivers do specify DX9.x. Might be a good idea to go back to an older
    one if you don't want to dl DX9. You have a videocard that's designed
    to use DX9, too.

    I know what you mean; it was a long time before broadband became
    available here. In fact, I downloaded the full DX9.0 and DX9.0b
    redistributables on dialup - particularly awkward as, with most UK
    24/7 ISPs, you get a two hour cutoff...

    But, as I understand it, if you do an online install, the installer
    only downloads the files necessary to update your installation;
    typically about 10 - 12 MB, although don't quote me on that.

    patrickp

    - take five to email me

    patrickp, Jun 5, 2004
  5. Lightnen

    Shawk Guest

    Do you have access to the latest PC mags such as PC Format or PC Gamer? -
    before broadband their free discs were a life saver for me as that's where I
    used to get Direct X and the latest video card drivers. Maybe worth a look?
    HTH, Shaun

    Shawk, Jun 6, 2004
  6. Lightnen

    patrickp Guest

    Good point, Shaun - DX9.0b's been out for nearly a year now. Many
    games disks should have it, too.

    patrickp

    - take five to email me

    patrickp, Jun 6, 2004
  7. Lightnen

    David Kehler Guest

    Quite a few people seem to be having this problem of the monitor
    losing signal. I think this is a driver issue because like I said,
    the 4.3 driver works fine for me, but the monitor constantly loses
    signal with 4.4 and 4.5. Others have reported that none of the 4.x
    drivers seem to work for them. Still others have reported that
    slightly upping the AGP voltage in the BIOS fixes the problem for
    them.

    David

    David Kehler, Jun 6, 2004
  8. Lightnen

    Lightnen Guest

    Yup have the latess directx (9.something)

    Lightnen, Jun 22, 2004
  9. Lightnen

    Lightnen Guest

    I was wondering about doing the voltage thing but it only seems to have what
    it is useing, I think the voltage should be moved like ya say but don't
    think its possible with the SiS-K-7sem system, bummer

    Lightnen, Jun 22, 2004
  10. Lightnen

    Gonzo Guest

    I have an SiS based Athlon board and I do recall a similar problem and that
    I fixed it my turning off the power saving features in my CMOS. My current
    8500dv AIW card did not have this peculiarity.

    Using an underpowered PS would be my 2nd guess.

    Gonzo, Jun 22, 2004