stock X850Xt: stock cooler mod

Discussion in 'ATI' started by pigdos, Aug 8, 2006.

  1. pigdos

    pigdos Guest

    Since the Arctic Cooling Silencer 5 rev. 2 doesn't look that much more
    capable than the stock X850xt cooling solution I've decided to mod the
    existing cooler in such a way that I can reverse all my mods and retain my
    warranty.

    The first mod is based on First of One's suggestion: to shim the existing
    x850xt heatsink to apply more pressure. He suggested a 5mm thermal pad so
    that's what I'm planning on using.

    Someone on Rage3d suggested removing the GPU spacer that surrounds the GPU:
    "I bought TWO X850XTPE's, PCIe versions, and BOTH required pulling the
    shims. Simple test, using a straight edge, does the CORE sit BELOW the plane
    of the shim? If so the HSF, esp aftermarket ones, wont make good contact
    with the core...especially with the THIN proper coating of AS5 that is
    correct by design." After what First said about this though I'm really
    reluctant to do this as this is also how I destroyed my old 9500 Pro.

    My other idea is to use replace the backplate which covers the memory on the
    rear of the PCB (on the flipside of the GPU) and replace them w/ramsinks.
    I'd use washers to take up the slack from removing the backplate.

    I've already removed the slotted slot plate (the plate which you screw into
    the PC chassis/case) on the back of the video card to flow more air.

    One last question, I've noticed that my x850xt has, more or less the same
    memory configuration as my 9500 Pro (the L shape). Would it be possible to
    use the stock x850xt cooler on my 9500 Pro? This would give me a great
    excuse to buy an Arctic Cooling Silencer 5 rev. 2.

    pigdos, Aug 8, 2006

  2. pigdos

    First of One Guest

    The stock ATi cooler is quite capable with the fan running at 100% duty
    cycle. The problem is it sounds like a leafblower (works on the same
    principle...). The ATi Silencer is equal or better than the stock cooler,
    and it can be run at full speed all the time with no noise.

    Have you seen the X1950XT's cooler?
    RAM cooling is quite overhyped. Unlike the GPU, the RAM chips use
    traditional plastic/ceramic packaging; the die isn't exposed. Heat
    dissipation occurs primarily through the BGA balls and into the PCB's copper
    layers. A simple heatspreader plate is all you need.
    L shape? So it has a 256-bit bus? If it looks anything like the 9700
    http://www.hardocp.com/images/articles/1034817388VVjlaIkvJO_1_11_l.jpg
    Then the X850XT heat sink will interfere with the capacitors next to the RAM
    chips.

    First of One, Aug 8, 2006

  3. pigdos

    oldwolf Guest

    I used the AC5rev2 on my x850xt and temps dropped to ~32ish idle up to ~42 -
    45ish under 3d load. If I remember rightly, original temps were about 8 - 10
    degrees higher ( idle & load) before changing coolers. The noise dropped
    markedly too, almost silent.
    I play games such as Oblivion, Fear, Q4, Far Cry, etc. I could play quite
    comfortably with whatever the game set up. I didnt OC though. (not game
    enough I suppose.)
    Unfortunately my PC had a hiccup and took out my Hdd, X850, and a gig of
    ram, so Im now left to use a 6600GT which isnt quite up to the job of the
    newer games.
    I would recommend this cooler to anyone.

    oldwolf, Aug 8, 2006
  4. pigdos

    pigdos Guest

    First why does the heatspreader get so hot then? If I play any graphically
    intensive games the rear RAM heatspreader gets way too hot to even put your
    hand on.

    I didn't want to drag out my 9500 Pro (and it looks like I won't have to
    now). My 9500 Pro had the RAM all in a row and there's no way I'll be able
    to shoehorn the X850xt solution w/all those caps in the way -- unless you
    have some *great* ideas First! ;^)

    pigdos, Aug 8, 2006
  5. pigdos

    First of One Guest

    The heatspreader dissipates only about 20-30% of the heat generated by the
    RAM chips. That 20-30% is enough to heat up the metal plate to
    finger-burning temps. A heatspreader there is definitely better than no
    heatspreader, but anything more elaborate probably won't be worthwhile.

    First of One, Aug 9, 2006