    workstation or server results as "stolen" , or it is "clear" ?

    Thanks,
    RightRik

    Rightrik, Aug 16, 2003

  2. Rightrik

    Rightrik Guest

    Thank you for your answer, Dr. Kirkby.

    I was thinking SUN (and other big companies) to have a big database to
    be able to find out the serial number of their machines and the buyers,
    wich eventually would be able to tell them about stolen items...
    This would be a nice thing to more protect so big values, i think.

    RighRik

    Rightrik, Aug 17, 2003

  3. Rightrik

    Rightrik Guest

    You could try SUN's call center, 1-800-872-4786
    Thanks Greg!

    R.

    Rightrik, Aug 19, 2003
  4. Rightrik

    nm Guest

    Highly unlikely to have any luck even with suns callcenter. Hardware is
    bought and sold every day and not always through SUN. Companies upgrade,
    others crear the sites and pass the hardware to resellers that pass it
    on again to end buyers (can you spot EBAY between the lines?) :)
    For hardware that has reached EOL im pretty sure you wont have any luck.
    You may find some info though for hardware that is installed in a
    corporate currently and serials exist with sun. (especially if they're
    under some support contract)
    Call them up and have a go. Maybe they know something we dont.
    Interesting thread though :)

    nm

    nm, Sep 10, 2003
  5. Rightrik

    Dave Saville Guest

    Sun *might* know. A few years back we had some stolen from Cambridge,
    England and one turned up in Amsterdam - The buyer had bought it in
    what he thought was a legit transaction and it went wrong so he called
    Sun - and next thing he knew the boys in blue were hammering at his
    front door. Don't know what the outcome was. We *were* on a Sun support
    contract at the time even though the kit came through a reseller they
    could track the serial. But as others have said if its

    Regards

    Dave Saville

    NB switch saville for nospam in address

    Dave Saville, Sep 11, 2003