    Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Gary

    algae, Apr 16, 2005

  2. algae

    Chops Guest

    Chops, Apr 16, 2005

  3. algae

    algae Guest

    Thanks for replying. Yes I have read that article before:) My RAM is new and
    as for a driver problem, this is happening during installation of Windows so
    I don't think it is.
    G.

    algae, Apr 16, 2005
  4. algae

    Paul Guest

    Is this your "MSI K7T266 Pro 2 motherboard" ? Based on your posting
    history, you've been adding memory to this thing without success,
    for a while.

    Your board is similar to an Asus A7V266-E. There are three DIMM
    slots, that can take PC2100 DIMMs. Faster DIMMs can be inserted,
    but won't run any faster than whatever the clock generator on
    the motherboard supports.

    Now, life would be wonderful, if every motherboard could take
    all the RAM that the manual says it can. But that is not always
    the case.

    To prove this is a memory issue, start with one stick of RAM
    only. Place it in the slot furthest from the processor. Run
    your tests, whatever triggers the most pfn_list_corrupt errors.
    (I like to test with Prime95, from mersenne.org, and its
    "torture test" option, as it thrashes the hell out of the
    memory. It should not report any round off errors, crash or
    burn. If you can do four hours without error, of Prime95,
    your processor and memory are pretty solid.)

    Once one stick is proven, add a second stick. The most stable
    configuration with two sticks, is one in slot 1 and one in
    slot 3. Leave slot 2 blank. Repeat your testing program.

    I would be pretty happy with two sticks of RAM. If you insist
    on using three, you might have to drop the clock speed a bit,
    to make it stable. That is about the only sure-fire way to
    fix it, and of course the slowdown in the system would suck.
    That is why, if two DIMMs are stable, stick with that.

    Since I don't have the manual for your motherboard, I don't
    know if the board has a Vdimm adjustment or not. The normal
    voltage for DDR is 2.5 volts. Setting the voltage to 2.7
    volts might help the memory a bit, but no guarantees. Not
    all motherboards have adjustable memory voltage settings.
    Some boards might even use jumpers for this function.

    Actually, I did find one interesting option on this board.
    On this page, I notice your motherboard has a "SDRAM 1T
    Command" option. Try disabling that, and see if your
    stability magically improves. That increases the address
    setup time to your DIMMs, and if you use three DIMMs,
    disabling that setting is an alternative to turning
    down the clock speed.

    http://www.planet3dnow.de/artikel/hardware/k7t266_pro2_ru/3.shtml

    If you are still having problems, then go back to basics.
    Get a copy of memtest86+, from memtest.org. It makes a nice
    test floppy for you. The floppy is self-booting and needs
    no OS (you cannot even list the contents of the floppy in
    Windows, once memtest prepares the floppy for you). Using
    memtest, test the DIMMs one at a time, using the slot
    furthest from the processor as the testing slot. See if each
    DIMM can do at least several full passes of Memtest86. I've
    had a couple of DIMMs that failed just past their one
    year warranties, and it is possible your RAM has gone bad
    on you.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Apr 16, 2005
  5. algae

    algae Guest

    Thanks for replying Paul. I've done some of this already including using
    Slot 1 & 3. However I'll try disabling SDRAM IT Command thingy:) and see if
    it makes a difference.
    I had Memtest running all night (on my two new RAM modules) and it did not
    turn up and errors.

    G.

    algae, Apr 16, 2005
  6. This may be a long shot, but try disabling UDMA for all your HDs in the
    BIOS and try installing XP. I've had problems installing windows on via
    chipset motherboards because of this. Then if it installs
    successfully, install the latest Via chipset drivers before you
    re-enable UDMA. (The computer will be ridiculously slow without DMA,
    though). Try a different IDE cable as well. If nothing works, I would
    suspect the motherboard, in my experience motherboards get flakey while
    CPUs just die. Make CPU is running cool enough though, some of the
    AMD-supplied heatsinks plug up with dust rather easily causing insane
    CPU temperatures.

    Travis Gardiner, Apr 26, 2005