stop screen error 0x0000007E

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by jaumedoc, May 2, 2005.

  1. jaumedoc

    jaumedoc Guest

    Hi,
    Today I have received my first "blue screen" at boot up from my
    Fujistu-Siemens Stylistic 5010 after a very excellent 1 year of use. The bad
    news are that this error persists and I'm unable to enter in windows, so this
    tabletpc doesn't run.
    I write to you cause I don't know how to fix it.
    The error appeared after the reboot after upgrading the Panda Platinum
    antivirus.
    I have tried the safe boot, the last know good boot, etc. It always appears
    the blue screen.
    I had bought the acronis true image application, backing up in a freecom usb
    hard-drive almost every week, in case I have anytime this problem, but now
    that I need it, it doesn't work. It tells me a message that a cable is
    missing (I don't know what cable could be missed).
    Finally, I tried to use the product recovery dvd that came with the tabletpc
    (using a iomega cd-rw usb drive). Booting from it, it seems all worked fine,
    until I got a window telling me that my hard disk will be partitioned so I
    will loose all my data in it, with the options to cancel or continue. My
    first problem was I don't want to loose all my data (isn't it another way to
    repair the error?), and the second one, I have notized today, is that I don't
    have a mouse, so I don't know how to move the on-screen cursor (the pen
    doesn't work).
    Finally, if any of you knows how to freeze the blue screen so one could read
    its information: it lists a lot of it and numbers, but only for a few
    seconds, then it returns to the bios boot.
    Any help will be very welcome.

    jaumedoc, May 2, 2005

  2. Jim Pickering, May 2, 2005

  3. jaumedoc

    Ken Schaefer Guest

    STOP 0x0000007E is a relatively common bugcheck code. The error message is
    SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, which means that a system thread raised
    an exception (error) for which there was no code to handle the exception
    (deal with the error).

    On the STOP page (the blue screen) is any device driver or file (.dll file)
    listed? If so, that would probably indicate the culprit. In order to stop
    that blue screen from appearing, you need to change a setting inside
    Windows. You can do it via the GUI (My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced ->
    System Startup/Recovery Button -> uncheck "Automatically Restart".

    If you just upgraded some AV software, then I would strongly suspect that
    that software is the problem. However, it seems you are having some problems
    getting into Windows to get this software uninstalled! :)

    If you do need to backup your hard disk, buy a $20 external USB2 hard disk
    case. Remove the hard disk from your laptop and place it into the external
    caddy. Attach the disk to another machine (Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows
    2003 Server) and it'll show up as another disk. Copy your data off it.

    You may wish to contact Panda support to see if they have any advice on
    removing their software.

    Cheers
    Ken

    --
    Blog: www.adopenstatic.com/cs/blogs/ken/
    Web: www.adopenstatic.com

    : See the following articles for some possible help:
    :
    : "STOP 0x0000007E" error message after you upgrade to Windows XP:
    : http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330182&sd=RMVP
    :
    : "STOP: 0x0000007E" Error Message When You Install Windows XP Disk Image
    from
    : a Remote Installation Services Server:
    : http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=818966
    :
    : You receive a "serious error" or a "STOP: 0x0000007E" error message in
    : Windows XP:
    : http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321637&sd=RMVP
    :
    : --
    : Jim Pickering, MVP/Outlook Express
    :
[...]
    : >
    :

    Ken Schaefer, May 3, 2005
  4. jaumedoc

    Jan Wagner Guest

    Before running into this problem, had you tried earlier if booting with
    the Acronis CD and detecting the external HD worked correctly? And now
    it doesn't?

    I think there was something in the user manual about the cable error
    message, but it's a while back since i read it... I assume you've the
    obvious i.e. the external HD power cable plugged in, HD switched on, USB
    cable connected? No interfering USB devices on the same USB bus as the HD?
    If you have the backups located on the external HD, after the XP
    recovery/reinstall you can (hopefully) boot into XP and as the first
    thing install Trueimage. Now you can run Trueimage to look at the backup
    images, map one to a virtual drive, and copy your important data back to
    your HD, then reinstall all applications and MS updates. Or just go
    ahead and install the entire backup image (one which you assume to be
    still working).
    get one of those surplus <$5 OEM usb mice.

    cheers,
    - Jan

    Jan Wagner, May 3, 2005
  5. jaumedoc

    john Guest

    As soon as you can, backup the data. Data recovery services, because
    of the equipment involved, is usually fairly expensive. Cheap DR
    companies are to be avoided. Call ESS at 1800-237-4200 if you need to
    do that, they give free evaluations.
    Backup, backup, backup!!

    john, May 4, 2005