    We're more more concerned about performance than price, at this point. I
    realize the 6120 is the "new" thing, and the T3's are being phased out, but
    is the 6120 really better?

    Ron Jarrell, Feb 16, 2004

  2. Ron Jarrell

    Elias Guest

    Yes, the 6120 is faster than the T3. How much faster will depend on a
    lot of things. One big reason it's faster is that it has more drives
    to stripe across. It also has improved RAID 5 performance and can
    support 15K RPM drives (currently only 36GB 15K drives).

    The 6120 also includes some software (Availability Suite) that you
    would have to purchase separately if you got T3's.

    I really don't think that there is a catch here.

    Elias

    Elias, Feb 17, 2004

  3. Ron Jarrell

    Toomas Soome Guest

    it's basically T3 next generation (internal product name/code T4), it's
    reported to perform very well, software support is quite like for T3.

    toomas

    Toomas Soome, Feb 17, 2004
  4. Ron Jarrell

    Scott Howard Guest

    realize the 6120 is the "new" thing, and the T3's are being phased out, but
    In fact, the latest firmware for the T3+ is exactly the same firmware as
    on the T4/6120.

    Scott

    Scott Howard, Feb 18, 2004
  5. I assume you mean firmware 3.01.02 as delivered in patch 115180?

    Is there a recommendation as to whether I should go for this, or stick
    with the current 2.01.06?

    Peter C. Tribble, Feb 18, 2004
  6. Ron Jarrell

    Scott Howard Guest

    Personally I would wait until the next version of the firmware is released.
    3.01.xx includes some great new features, including a disk scrubber to
    increase the chances of detecting a bad disk before it causes you any
    problems. Unfortunately this has a side-effect of causing the orange
    lights on all of the disks to stay on (most) all of the time.

    This behaviour will be changed in the next version of this patch, so I'd
    suggest waiting until it is released, but then certainly upgrade - the new
    features (especially the disk scrubber and the performance increases) make
    it certainly worth it!

    Scott.

    Scott Howard, Feb 19, 2004
  7. Scott,

    Thanks for the advice! OK, I'll wait a while.

    Peter C. Tribble, Feb 19, 2004