StorEdge T3+ access to "dot" commands

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by DoN. Nichols, Mar 2, 2013.

  1. DoN. Nichols

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    I just acquired a T3+ StorEdge RAID array.

    It works.

    But One (of two) batteries is failed (they have batteries in the power
    supply modules to serve as a UPS for long enough to flush the cache to
    disk.)

    And -- when even one is bad, it disables the write-behind the cache for
    faster operation.

    I can get spare batteries. (The official preferred way is to replace the
    entire plug-in power supply and send the old one back for rebuild --
    but a service engineer can replace the battery in the power supply --
    according to the field service manual for it.)

    *But* -- the system will remember the old battery as failed (and the
    other has six days left until it is similarly marked as failed).

    There is a command ".bat" which (with the proper options) will reset the
    expiration date for the new battery, and thus allow it to work properly
    with the system.

    The problem is that all of the "dot" commands (any command whose
    name starts with '.' is considered an "engineering" command, and is not
    recognized when logged in as root. (Yes, I have the root password set
    for the system.)

    So -- there is some magic way to enable these commands (other
    than calling in a non-existent service contract).

    I suspect that it is not a jumper or switch which needs to be
    set on the controller board, because this would require shutting the
    system down, and almost everything can be serviced with it still
    running.

    If anyone knows how -- could you please tell me. This array is
    in otherwise very good condition. (I had to blow a lot of accumulated
    dust out of it, but it is now quite clean.) It keeps re-testing the
    disks and they pass with flying colors.

    Oh yes -- there appears to be a second account in there called
    "guest", for which I don't have the password. And unlike a real unix,
    root can't change the password for guest -- unless s/he knows the old
    password. :)

    Thanks all,
    DoN.

    DoN. Nichols, Mar 2, 2013