    I first got the card and before I downclocked it I would sometimes get a
    black screen when clicking on the task bar using Nvidia drivers. Things is,
    why do the Nvidia drivers do this and not the NGO drivers?

    Garrot, Sep 24, 2006

  2. Garrot

    deimos Guest

    NGO and other crap remixed drivers simply combine various driver
    versions into what they think are the best driver set and usually have a
    pre-applied set of registry entries controlling the various
    optimizations and tweaks allowed through the driver panel (and some
    normally hidden ones).

    If it worked with an obviously faulty card, then great, but there is no
    special reason for it to do so. No magic fix or patch. Also, you
    shouldn't have been getting DEP errors unless something was causing the
    driver to write outside its own memory space, and usually with video
    drivers, that's very limited (either it's own RAM or within the driver
    process in the kernel).

    deimos, Sep 24, 2006

  3. Garrot

    First of One Guest

    See deimos' post for a thorough explanation on the NGO drivers. The method
    of underclocking may make a difference, too. Did you using Coolbits, or the
    "low-level overclocking" option in RivaTuner?

    First of One, Sep 24, 2006
  4. Garrot

    John Lewis Guest

    Check the available current on +12V from your power supply as per the
    power-supply label and fully list all your system hardware and CPU
    type. Insufficient +12V current is a potential culprit. It it still
    likely to be a faulty card, but the +12V question should first be
    eliminated.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Sep 24, 2006
  5. Garrot

    Garrot Guest

    I'm not on that system right now so can't check it but going from memory
    it is 12.05. It's a Seasonic S12-600 so I doubt that is the issue.
    This PSU is designed to run two 7900GT's and I'm only using one. I've
    already determined the card has faulty memory. Common problem with these
    ards. It plays all games fine with the memory at 660 instead of 750. I
    wouldn't even send it back if it wasn't for this DEP error using Nvidia
    drivers. But this shows me the mem even at 660 is not rock solid, even
    though it never crashes in games, any game.

    Garrot, Sep 24, 2006
  6. Garrot

    Garrot Guest

    36amp

    Garrot, Sep 24, 2006
  7. Garrot

    Garrot Guest

    I'll answer that after I get my RMA done. ;-)

    Garrot, Sep 24, 2006
  8. Garrot

    Garrot Guest

    I like the NGO drivers because they give me more options and not because
    the drivers are more stable. But in this case they are stable on this card
    while the Nvidia drivers give me a DEP error. I will load default Nvidia
    drivers when I get the RMA done and see if all is ok, but I will still
    probably go back to NGO drivers. They are not crap going by my experience.

    Garrot, Sep 24, 2006
  9. Garrot

    Garrot Guest

    OK, I just updated to the most recent DirectX and right after I clicked on
    the start button I got an explorer.exe error, didn't mention DEP but the
    behavoir of the error is exactly the same. It's just that I'm seeing this a
    lot less with NGO drivers than Nvidia drivers. I just found this url that
    describres exactly the error I am seeing.

    http://www.winxptutor.com/sp2/divxcrash.htm

    I don't have Divx installed though but I do see Nvidia drivers have a
    context menu option that I do have turned on. I'll shut that down and see
    how it is. Looks like maybe there is nothing wrong with my hardware at all
    and this is an error caused by software. I've only been experiencing this
    recently and perhaps it is something introduced via one of the latest XP
    updates. *&%$# I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out just what
    is causing this and it may just be bloody Nvidia drivers once again. This
    is what I get for leaving ATI and going back to the dark side.

    Garrot, Sep 24, 2006
  10. Garrot

    Folk Guest

    Doesn't XP SP2 *come* with the latest version of DirectX.

    Hmmm. NGO drivers, "updated" DirectX, "secret" downclocking software.
    Methinks thou doest overtweak too much. You're an RMA nightmare.

    Folk, Sep 25, 2006
  11. Garrot

    John Lewis Guest

    Funny, I have not had any such issues ever with 7x.xx thru 91.xx
    drivers with my 7800GTX. Clean install, Windows update and latest
    motherboard and peripheral drivers and all should be well.

    BTW, when you went over to the "dark side" did you either (a) do a
    full system install or (b) use Driver Cleaner to flush ALL residual
    traces of the ATi drivers ? An omission that has caused grief for many
    in going from ATi ---> nVidia or nVidia ---> ATi.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Sep 25, 2006
  12. Garrot

    Ed Forsythe Guest

    Non-constructive response - BYE! ;-)

    Ed Forsythe, Sep 25, 2006
  13. Garrot

    Garrot Guest

    No, latest version was relelased in August.
    Me doth think thou don't know WTF he is talking about.

    Garrot, Sep 25, 2006
  14. Garrot

    Garrot Guest

    Well, some POS software is probably causing it. I've turned off the context
    menu in the Nvidia drivers and I haven't had it happen since.
    I just did a fresh install of XP about three days ago.

    Garrot, Sep 25, 2006
  15. Garrot

    Folk Guest

    Sorry, my bad.
    Despite an error in dating DirectX versions, my final point was valid.
    " *&%$# I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out just what
    is causing this and it may just be bloody Nvidia drivers once again"

    When did Nvidia start publishing the NGO drivers?

    Folk, Sep 25, 2006
  16. Garrot

    Garrot Guest

    drivers too. Trying to blame me for a bad video card requiring an RMA is
    what I would expect from an idiot. If you have nothing of use to
    contribute then **** off and move along.

    Garrot, Sep 26, 2006
  17. Garrot

    Folk Guest

    In the post I initially responded to, you said:

    "Looks like maybe there is nothing wrong with my hardware at all
    and this is an error caused by software."

    So what is it Garrot? Hardware issue? Software issue?

    For someone who appears to be clueless, you're sure quick to judge
    others.

    Folk, Sep 27, 2006
  18. Garrot

    Garrot Guest

    Both, I had to downclock the card to resolve a hardware issue and the
    glitch I am seeing I believe is a software issue. Comprehende? Or do I have
    to spell it out for you in all Caps?
    Nah, it's you who are clueless by jumping to conclusions about something
    you obviously know nothing about. Stop wasting my time.

    Garrot, Sep 28, 2006
  19. Garrot

    Garrot Guest

    Oh, yea, it's definately caused by some software on my PC because I have
    sent back the 7900GT for an exchange and I've put in my Geforce4 for now. I
    am still getting the issue on occasion when I click on the task bar.
    Obviously you dorks know **** all and posting in this group was just an
    exercise in frustration and a great waste of my time. There is nothing
    wrong with the NGO drivers and there is nothing wrong with my Seasonic
    S12-600 PSU (a better PSU than most of you own).

    Garrot, Sep 29, 2006