Strange (but minor) Bootup Problem (P4I875P DRAGON 2 Platinum, ATI Radion 9000 AIW, WinXP Pro))

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by Jeff Wolf, Jan 25, 2004.

  1. Jeff Wolf

    Jeff Wolf Guest

    Dear Collective,

    I have a P41875 Dragon II and ATI Radion 9000 AIW running WinXP Pro. Worked
    fine since original assembly and then I decided to do something real stupid
    and looked to see if there were any updates to the ATI 9000 AIW device
    drivers. I found some, downloaded them, and of course, half my applications
    stopped functioning.

    I then uninstalled ALL Radion applications and device drivers and let Win-XP
    do a plug and pray and reinstalled the original device drivers and
    applications from the original CDROMs. All of my applications (except one)
    now run fine again but I am left with this weird artifact....

    When the system booted before this adventure, the "Welcome" screen lasted
    about 2-3 seconds and then went to the main screen while playing the Windows
    Start WAV file. NOW... that Welcome screen runs almost a minute (This is a
    2.8 GHz P4 with 1G of RAM, 200Gb SATA HD...should boot QUICK). Once the
    main screen comes up, the icons are generic and then bounce around in and
    out for another 10-20 seconds or so before things stabilize.

    This went from a 30 second bootup to a 90 second bootup. What the hey??

    I know this isn't a MB problem, but you guys are smart... any suggestions?

    Thanks,

    Jeff

    Jeff Wolf, Jan 25, 2004

  2. Jeff Wolf

    Jim B. Guest

    Have you tried to defragment the drive since this started? It could be
    that when you re-installed the drives and any software that went with
    the video card they were put in another location on the drive. If so
    the added time could be because the system is having to scan the total
    200 gig of space to locate them. When you first built the computer and
    installed everything it was done to the beginning of the hard drive,
    but since then you have put in all your different applications then
    removed and re-installed things for the video card it could have put
    this after all your applications on the drive.

    Jim B., Jan 25, 2004

  3. Jeff Wolf

    Woobie Guest

    Find a way to restore from a previous date. Your boot up settings are
    probably looking for something that is no longer there, and your computer is
    having an aweful time booting. If you can get into your operating system, it
    shouldn't be hard to fix. If you can't get in, try booting intosafe mode. I
    think you can access the "restore" program from there.
    Joe

    Woobie, Jan 25, 2004
  4. Jeff Wolf

    Jeff Wolf Guest