Strange experiences with GA-M55S-S3 Rev 2.0

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Matthias Berger, Dec 8, 2008.

  1. Hi all,

    I have a GA-M55S-S3 Rev 2.0 (board A) at firmware FD whose onboard sound
    broke within warranty. As I wanted to turn the board in but did not want
    to wait several weeks for a spare part I got myself a second GA-M55S-S3
    Rev 2.0 (board B) for replacement. Having exchanged the boards I had a
    closer look at the defective board A and noticed that it showed
    darker/brown stains (I would not go as far as to say burn marks). These
    stains were located at the board's backside of the south bridge, the
    super I/O chip (IT8716F) and three mosfets just south the cpu.
    Unfortunately I don't have any explanation for these stains. All fans
    are working and the temperatures monitored are ok neither did I ever
    overclock anything. The super I/O chip does not even have a heat sink so
    it certainly is not meant to become too hot. Up to the exchange the
    board was running well except for the onboard sound.

    So much for question 1:
    Are these stains normal and where do they come from (excessive heat?)?

    Having exchanged the boards (1:1 exchange, no further changes in
    hardware, I put everything where it had been before) for me the question
    was not whether the system would work again at all but what would be
    malfunctioning this time. So I was not surprised at all to hear error
    beeps when I turned on the system. After some time I figured out that
    for some unknown reason the new board B does not like my RAM to run in
    dual-channel mode as board A always did. Only when I place both bars in
    slots of different color (same won't work) the systems starts with the
    ram in single-channel mode. Well, I thought, board A was firmware FG,
    board B is FI so for tests I flashed board B back to FG but that did not
    change anything apart from the fact the board did not even beep anymore.
    Even if board B's FI bios had been damaged the problem should have been
    solved with flashing back board B to FI but to no effect.

    So much for question 2:
    How come board A supports dual-channel but board B doesn't although the
    boards should be identical and even temporarily had the same firmware?

    Gigabyte support told me to also turn board b in and I will as soon as I
    get back a replacement for board A.

    Last but not least both boards independent of a certain firmware show
    another malfunction:
    Occasionally, once every two weeks or so the system will boot but when
    the windows screen with the loading bar (win xp prof) appears the bar
    will be extremely slow and just a few seconds later a bluescreen alway
    tells me something about my bios not beeing acpi-compliant. Once in a
    month the system suddenly freezes during normal work. Rebooting the
    system the screen suddenly reads "Building DMI Pool ........... Flash
    Rom protected" - usually it reads just "Building DMI Pool". Some Reboots
    later the system will start again as "normal". I have read about this
    problem several times but the hint to flash the firmware to the latest
    version at least for me did not work.

    So much for question 3:
    What can I do to prevent this DMI-Pool nonsense from happening?

    I'm grateful for any relevant hint.
    Thanks a lot.

    Greetings

    Matthias

    --------

    my system:
    case: big tower
    case fans: 2x Artic cooling 8cm fans thermal control
    mainboard: Gigabyte GA-M55S-S3, nF 550 (dual PC2-6400U DDR2) Rev 2.0
    cpu: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ EE 65nm
    cpu cooler: Coolermaster Hyper TX - AMD CPU-Cooler
    ram: MDT DIMM Kit 2048MB (2x1024MB) PC2-6400U CL5 (DDR2-800)
    graphics: Gainward BLISS 8500 GT Silent FX 256MB PCIe
    power: be quiet Straight Power BQT E5-400W
    hdd: Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB SATA II (HD501LJ)
    dvd: Samsung SH-D163B schwarz bulk SATA (SH-D163B/BEBE)
    dvd-rw: Samsung SH-S203B SATA (SH-S203B)

    Matthias Berger, Dec 8, 2008

  2. In case anyone is (still) interested in this - the problem only seems to
    occur with a logitech usb mouse. However if you turn off usb mouse and
    keyboard support in your board's bios everythink will work fine again -
    even your usb mouse and keyboard - the description is _really_
    misleading ...

    Matthias

    Matthias Berger, Jan 27, 2009

  3. Matthias Berger

    pokey man Guest

    BIOS settings are for using USB mouse/keyboard in dos environment. turned
    off windos detects mouse keyboard and doesnt use settings.

    Pokeyman

    pokey man, Jan 29, 2009
  4. Matthias Berger

    trodas

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2007
    Messages:
    22
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Czech republic
    No, these are NOT normal. Yes, they come from excessive overheating of components (paths on the PCB too) and that is caused usually by some HW fault and/or bad caps on the mainboard.
    To cut the costs, Gigabyte use outdated switching components AND not only mediocre, but mainly fake brands of caps. Asus too, and others as well, BTW. That often result in excessive ripple currents that have the power to fly most of components. Backup your data, things might get harsh soon.

    trodas, Jan 31, 2009
  5. BIOS settings are for using USB mouse/keyboard in dos environment.
    I figured that but most people today are far from using dos. This is
    especially why I think the description is misleading - should rather be
    something like "Only activate if your OS does not recognize
    mouse/keyboard" or something even more dos-specific.
    Anyway, I learned my lesson ;-).

    Matthias

    Matthias Berger, Feb 2, 2009