Strange Mainboard Problem.

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Mikey, Feb 10, 2006.

  1. Mikey

    Mikey Guest

    All of a sudden my PC has been really doing something strange.

    It will hardly start up in the normal way.

    I turn on the PC and All that happens is that the Fans/HDD power up, and
    then I get one Flash of the lights on the K/B and then nothing. Just sits
    there with the fans going.

    I have removed all components and power cycled the beast, and have got it
    down to possibly the mainboard.

    I reflashed the Bios, but still the same problem.

    Reset CMOS.

    Now here is the STRANGE part. If I manage to get it to boot, It will boot
    every time after that PROVIDED I don't leave it off for more than a couple
    of hours.

    Then the same problem.

    Even stranger, While the power was on, but PC had failed to boot, I turned
    off the power at the socket, turned it back on, and then tried.

    Started up first time.

    Any Ideas?

    If not Is there a N.G that may help.

    Thanks

    Mikey

    Mikey, Feb 10, 2006

  2. All of a sudden my PC has been really doing something strange.
    Seems a faulty PSU, I had the same problems here with my KT-6Delta
    mobo.
    After replacing the PSU, all troubles were over (and the sytyem was a
    lot more quiet :))
    Good luck...

    André

    André, PE1PQX, Feb 10, 2006

  3. Mikey

    DaveL Guest

    Also check for bulging and leaking capacitors on the motherboard.

    DaveL

    DaveL, Feb 10, 2006
  4. Mikey

    Folk Guest

    That, or possibly a bad CMOS battery.

    Folk, Feb 10, 2006
  5. Mikey

    Mikey Guest

    Thanks for the replies.

    I have changed the battery but no joy.

    I can now get the PC to boot every time if I follow this dangerous
    procedure.

    When the PC starts and fails to boot, I wait for the HDD light to go out,
    and throw the mains switch or pull power from PC.

    If I then plug it back in or turn power back on I can then restart the PC
    with no problem.

    If I throw switch / Pull plug after PC has shut down, this has NO effect.

    STRANGE

    Any Further input appreciated.

    Mike

    Mikey, Feb 10, 2006
  6. Mikey

    Mark Guest

    Hmmmm...just curious, did you check the ground at the electrical outlet?
    Can you move your system to another outlet in the house and try it?

    Mark, Feb 11, 2006
  7. I once had the same issue with an Asus MB. After trying every possible
    thing... it turned out that my MB wasn't mounted good enough - after
    tightning the screws which held down the MB to the computer case - it worked
    like a charm.

    - jorgen

    Jorgen [DK/2200], Feb 11, 2006