Strange moan every 10 mins on iMac G4 Panther OS X 10.3

Discussion in 'Apple' started by MR, Feb 2, 2004.

  1. MR

    MR Guest

    I bought an iMac a week ago. Everything seems to work fine - I have only
    the OS installed with the applications that are included in Panther
    installed on the machine. (The machine was shipped with Jaguar and I
    upgraded it to Panther, but this fault was there before I upgraded.)

    But, the machine makes a strange 1 or 2 second "moan" every 10 minutes - 10
    minutes EXACTLY. I did call the Apple help line, but there was no
    explanation available. I have searched the Apple support pages and queried
    the OSXFAQ forum. I don't think it is the fan - it is running normally I
    suppose, because I can feel a air through the top vent. The hard disk sems
    OK.

    Has anyone any idea what this might be, or what I can do to further diagnose
    it? I am really curious. I can return the machine and exchange it, of
    course, but I would really like to understand what this machine is doing. I
    have listened to two other iMacs, and they do not make this sound.

    Mark.

    MR, Feb 2, 2004

  2. [The temptation at an unhelpful stab at humor resisted...with difficulty.]

    If this sound is coming from this machine, it is possible that it is
    related to fan speed differences and ultimately to system activity.
    The fact that it comes so regularly suggests a cron process. Can you
    time it not only to the interval, but to the clock itself?
    Does it make the noise when left on, but in sleep?

    Daniel Packman, Feb 2, 2004

  3. MR

    l Guest

    l, Feb 2, 2004
  4. [...]
    I can't help, but I have precisely the same problem, also with an iMac
    G4. I didn't measure the time between intervals, though, so I can't
    guarantee that it's 10 minutes. Anyway, my iMac has another problem,
    namely that the display turns negative from time to time, so I'll
    bring it back to the shop tomorrow, and I'll see if it still whines
    when it comes back.

    Michel.

    Michel Schinz, Feb 2, 2004
  5. MR

    Doug Brown Guest

    Forgive me if this is a different problem, but the "negative display"
    thing is a feature, not a problem. You can toggle between regular and
    inverse by pressing command-option-control-8. You can also turn this on
    and off in the Universal Access system preferences.

    Doug

    Doug Brown, Feb 2, 2004
  6. MR

    MR Guest

    Thanks to all who replied - even to those who couldn't resist a humorous
    reply :)

    It looks like the "sound" is similar to that described in the posting
    referenced in "I"'s reply,
    http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?showtopic=1437&st=50&#entry9290

    It sounds very similar, and is described without using the word "moan".

    Can anyone confirm that all disk drives used by Apple are IBM drives, by the
    way?

    Regards,
    Mark.

    MR, Feb 2, 2004
  7. In my case it's a genuine problem. I actually use the "Universal
    Access" feature you mention to cancel the effect of that problem.
    Unfortunately, it seems that the problem in question doesn't _really_
    invert the colors, so the end result is awful, but still better than
    working with an inversed display.

    Thanks for the remark anyway.

    Michel.

    Michel Schinz, Feb 2, 2004
  8. MR

    Pigeon Hohl Guest

    No, because they aren't. I just saw a 17" iMac with a Seagate in it.

    Pigeon

    Pigeon Hohl, Feb 2, 2004
  9. MR

    Doug Brown Guest

    Whoops! Well, I hope things go okay for you. :)

    Doug

    Doug Brown, Feb 2, 2004