Strange problem with HDD and Oulook 2000. Serious.

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by Denzil Hathway, May 7, 2006.

  1. I have a strange happening on my Gateway P4 Desktop running on XP. I had the
    circumstance when all seemed to be working well when suddenly Outlook 2000
    wouldn't open. I'd click on it and would see the program logo but the
    program itself wouldn't open. I'd see it loaded in the Task Manager. I tried
    various things like uninstalling and reinstalling but nothing worked. I came
    down one day to a blue screen with a report that the primary HDD had failed.
    I thought "that's it" and replaced it with a Samsung barebones HDD of
    similar size and reinstalled everything, including Outlook 2000 from the
    Microsoft 2000 Pro Suite disk. Everything ran fine for a month.

    Now the same thing again. Outlook 2000 doesn't open. On bootup I get a
    system message that there's a problem with the HDD - go to Troubleshooting
    in the Owner's Manual (whatever that is). I hit Enter and Windows loads
    normally but Outlook won't open. I'm busy right now downloading my data to a
    portable storage drive. That's after checking the primary HDD for errors
    (none) and defragging

    Does this sound familiar to anybody? I haven't got a clue what's going on.
    Is my new HDD failing already? Why only symptoms from Outlook? What am I
    doing wrong? I'd appreciate some help, as I struggle on from my Gateway 9500
    laptop. Thanks in anticipation, Denzil.

    Denzil Hathway, May 7, 2006

  2. Denzil Hathway wrote on 5/6/2006 :
    --
    Denzil,

    Try using the “speedfan� program; it has good S.M.A.R.T. section that
    will allow you to look at your hard drive, compared to the
    manufacture's published standards...

    Heat, or power supply voltage can create problems, in addition to Hard
    drive manufacturing defects.

    There may be other software to accomplish the same readings, but this
    one alerted me to back-up a hard drive full of information.

    I did not follow the advice for weeks but I finally backed up the data
    several hours before the hard drive in question failed to work. I was
    a thankful person, and now regularly check all hard drive with this
    program…

    This could be one method allowing you to eliminate the hard drive as
    the cause of your outlook 2000 oddity

    The speed fans, I am still playing or experimenting…
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

    JR the postman

    Postman delivers, May 7, 2006

  3. Denzil Hathway

    Muddle Guest

    A P4 what? I've a 400Mhz Gateway P4 that I wouldn't even try to run XP on
    let alone running Office 2000 on. I run lookout 98 on it in a locked down
    restricted IE security zone though. Basically this guy is telling you to
    crack the cover and blow the dust out of it with a $29.95 Sears mini air
    compressor, although you should try to keep the fans from spinning up beyond
    spec. with your finger or inserted pencil. If a program such as Spinrite
    http://www.grc.com/ doesn't tell you your hard drive is bad then you've some
    other problem such as a virus from some downloaded program you keep
    installing. If your not overclocking your system those system monitoring
    programs are useless as tits on a boar hog.

    Muddle, May 7, 2006
  4. Muddle explained on 5/7/2006 :
    Speedfan and Speedfan's S.M.A.R.T. section has no cost, yes, the
    software author would like to recieve a donation if you are using his
    software, but maybe you are looking at someting differet...

    I am not certain spending $89 for Gibson Research's spinrite 6.0 for a
    temp look to see if your hard drive might be failing in it performance
    requires a ninty dollar purchase. However Gibson Research's spinritem
    it is a good program to own and use in the long run.
    http://www.grc.com/cs/prepurch.htm

    He could also, download the dianostic software from his hard drive
    manufacture, but i have found speedfan's S.M.A.R.T. section is a quick
    and decent method to read and compare your hard drive to the
    manufacture's published standards.

    Muddle, may know of & suggest another program that does not cost $90,
    that will be better than boar hog's nipples to look at your hard
    drive's S.M.A.R.T. infomation. I did not suggest you play or toy with
    the fan speed controls, as Muddle implicates...

    JR the postman

    Postman delivers, May 8, 2006
  5. Postman delivers explained on 5/7/2006 :
    Here is a PC mag link about SMART
    (Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology).

    Your system is working fine, everything is ok, performance is good, but
    do you know the health of your hard drives? It's a given that all
    drives eventually fail. Wouldn't it be nice to know when it's going to
    happen?

    JR the postman

    Postman delivers, May 19, 2006