    this "factory sealed Z1RA with Windows XP Pro" might have come from?
    Thanks!

    Jim

    Jim Muhlker, Sep 22, 2003

  2. Jim Muhlker

    IS Guest

    I have no idea but have him take a picture of the box where it says XP Pro.
    That should solve the issue because the box always says what OS is
    installed.

    Thanks.

    IS.

    IS, Sep 23, 2003

  3. This is an excerpt from http://tinyurl.com/odte.

    I don't know if it's true, but here it is, nevertheless:

    "WARNING NOT COMPATIBLE WITH WINDOwS XP PROFESSIONAL
    I upgraded from Windows XP Home to Professional, and the modem and
    wireless card do not work. I have been on the phone with Sony support
    for a few hours and their best answer is that they only support Windows
    XP Home and that is what the machine was designed for. I cannot believe
    this answer, particularly given the fact that software and operating
    systems get upgraded all the time and that the machine has a label that
    says "Designed for Microsoft Windows XP"

    Larry

    Lawrence Glasser, Sep 23, 2003
  4. Jim Muhlker

    George Mills Guest

    This is one difference between companies like Toshiba/IBM vs Sony.

    I've received BIOS upgrades 2-3 years later to support new versions of OS's
    from Toshiba.

    Sony is NOT a computer company. They are an Entertainment company.

    George Mills, Sep 24, 2003
  5. The writer is correct what Sony means is that they won't support
    another OS with drivers or any other help. Odds are that the system
    will work fine if he can locate compatible drivers for his hardware.
    This is an example of the crappy support you always hear about when
    referring to Sony.
    Emanuel

    Emanuel Brown, Sep 24, 2003
  6. Jim Muhlker