Strange star character; Was Four star movies?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Salmon Egg, Oct 24, 2013.

  1. Salmon Egg

    Salmon Egg Guest

    To me, Gary's post was very interesting, but left me with many
    questions. The primary one is: How do you find a star character and how
    do you type one?

    As indicated above, I tried to find how star characters were put into a
    Zap2it. I had given up. Today, I got an advertising email that included
    a star.

    "Air_$399 Lenovo"

    On Mail, the star showed up. On my paste into my newsreader, the star
    was replaced by the underline.

    I was able to copy the segment above from Mail to Microsoft Word and
    Excel. I tried to change the font in Word to see if somehow different
    fonts had different symbols for ASCII95, the underline. Trying to format
    the star in Word with the Format menu, Word always went to the Menlo
    Regular font. Using the Font menu, I could ostensibly change the entire
    string. But if I selected the star by itself, it always was back to
    Menlo Regular. I just changed the string to Courier New. but the star
    did not.

    In Excel, I pasted the string into a cell. The MID function allowed me
    to select the star all by itself for the inside a cell. The CODE
    function gave 95 for its ASCII code. Using CHAR(95), however, gave me
    the underline.

    Even when I went to the cell containing the star, changing the font to
    Courier New did not change the star.

    This is mighty strange. Who has an explanation?

    --

    Sam

    Liberals are for Darwinism but totally against any selection.

    Salmon Egg, Oct 24, 2013

  2. Salmon Egg

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Paste it into TextEdit and save as UTF-16

    Then view the hax digits for the star with

    od -xc filename

    create the star with the same hex digits.

    Wes Groleau, Oct 24, 2013

  3. Salmon Egg

    Davoud Guest

    Wes Groleau:
    Or open Character Viewer, select "Bullets/Stars" or "Pictographs" and
    drag the star of your choice into your document.

    Davoud, Oct 24, 2013
  4. Salmon Egg

    Wes Groleau Guest

    That would be best if he just needed a star. But I think he wanted to
    write a script that looked for a particular character.

    Wes Groleau, Oct 24, 2013
  5. Salmon Egg

    Salmon Egg Guest

    That indeed was the intent of my query.

    Although I do not expect to spend much more time on the subject (There
    are other interesting things to do.) It shows that finding, cutting and
    pasting, etc, is not all that simple to do.

    Salmon Egg, Oct 24, 2013