Strange "status bar" briefly appears before Windows splash screen after SP2 install

Discussion in 'Asus' started by dave g, Sep 23, 2004.

  1. dave g

    dave g Guest

    Hi Groups...

    I wonder if anyone can offer an explanation for this... I've just installed
    SP2 on Win XP Home Edition.

    Now when I boot I get a brief black and white status bar that shows up for
    a second at the bottom of the screen before the Windows Splash Screen
    starts up...

    The best way I can describe this is a monochrome file loading progress bar
    that starts off black and white stripes and appears to load from left to
    right? Apologies for this poor description.

    It wasn't there before SP2... any thoughts

    Asus A7N8X-E, Athlon XP 3Gh

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions

    dave g, Sep 23, 2004

  2. dave g

    Joshua Guest

    Assume its just the kernel loading, can happen on slow machines i think but
    usually doesn't even show on modern systems. It's nothing abnormal though.

    Joshua, Sep 23, 2004

  3. dave g

    Phil Guest

    I have that as well now (after SP2). Users of Windows 2000 should be used to
    this. Also people with slow PCs. Nothing to worry about, it's just part of
    the loading process.

    Phil, Sep 23, 2004
  4. dave g

    dave g Guest

    I just happened to be in the right place at the right time to see what
    Phil wrote in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus and:
    Thanks for the speedy response

    Oddly... it doesn't happen if I enter the bios... then exit without making
    changes...?

    Are you aware of a fix to get rid of it... my son's significantly slower,
    budget machine manages to boot smoothly with SP2

    Regards

    Dave G

    dave g, Sep 23, 2004
  5. dave g

    dave g Guest

    I just happened to be in the right place at the right time to see what
    Joshua wrote in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus and:
    I know my machine is not absolute cutting edge but I hope it's not "slow"
    already lol.

    Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe, 3Ghz Athlon XP, 1Gb PC3200, GeForce 5900, ATA133 HDD's

    Maybe I'd better start upgrading ;-)

    dave g, Sep 23, 2004
  6. dave g

    Phil Guest

    I shouldn't imagine it would add too much time to loading, mine is there for
    all of 0.75 seconds. Have you defragged recently? I think the bar on mine
    (3000+ Ath XP) takes longer when my HDD is a bit fragmented (Hitachi
    Deskstar 80GB)

    Phil, Sep 23, 2004
  7. dave g

    dave g Guest

    I just happened to be in the right place at the right time to see what
    Phil wrote in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus and:
    Cue spooky music...

    My computer no longer displays the symptoms I originally described... seems
    to have sorted itself out???

    Thanks for the suggestions anyway

    Dave G

    dave g, Sep 23, 2004
  8. dave g

    Bob Cronin Guest

    Might it have said "Resuming Windows"? Perhaps you had hibernated rather
    than shutdown the previous session ...

    Bob Cronin, Sep 23, 2004
  9. dave g

    Ken Oaf Guest

    This has always happened with my P4 2.8 system on an Asus P4P800 Deluxe.

    Ken Oaf, Sep 23, 2004
  10. dave g

    dave g Guest

    I just happened to be in the right place at the right time to see what Bob
    Cronin wrote in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus and:
    Nope... It was a kind of "loading" status bar filling up from the left hand
    side. It happened during the first 4 or 5 times I started up after
    installing SP2... I used normal shut down procedures.

    However... it now appears to have stopped doing it?

    Regards

    Dave G

    dave g, Sep 24, 2004