Strategy to record an audio stream

Discussion in 'Apple' started by JF Mezei, May 13, 2010.

  1. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    I'll be attending some government hearing in a couple of weeks. At
    night, I will/may have to re-listen to some f the speeches to prepare a
    rebuttal.

    The governmnet will broadcast the audio from the hearing something like:

    curl http://www.crtc.gc.ca/streaming/stream1-floor.asx

    <asx version = "3.0">
    <title>CRTC Hearing. </title>
    <entry>
    <title>
    CRTC Hearing.
    </title>
    <Author>CRTC</author>
    <copyright>CRTC</copyright>
    <ref href = "mms://STREAMER.crtc.gc.ca/stream1-floor"/>
    </entry>
    </asx>

    I will have my laptop with me with wi-fi access. However, I would prefer
    if I could trigger this to happen on my server back at home. (either via
    command line or screen sharing). This saves battery on my laptop.

    This is some windows media crap format at 32kbps, if they didn't change
    it since last year.

    I don't think this is functional right now, so I can't test it.

    Has anyone had experience doing something like this ? What software
    would be usable for this ? VLC ?

    I have Amadeus, but it doesn't seem to have a "record from network" option.

    (This isn't piracy, it is perfectly legal to record this).

    JF Mezei, May 13, 2010

  2. JF Mezei

    Guest Guest

    audio hijack pro or radioshift:
    <http://www.rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/>

    Guest, May 13, 2010

  3. JF Mezei

    Su-Z-Q Guest

    Su-Z-Q, May 15, 2010
  4. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    Thank for the respnses to this thread. Bought the ROgue Ameboa "Audio
    Hijack" and made initial tests and it seems to work fine. Didn't realise
    it had hooks into the application. Thoughgt it installed some driver
    that created a new audio destination that you could choose.

    Barring Mr Murphy next week, I should be able to revord the proceedings
    and save each presenter's speech separately which will make things much
    easier for me (and can make it available to others)

    Sort of ironic that I will be in the same room as the presenters, but
    will end up recording teh web feed via a wi-fi connection instead of
    usingf the microphone on the Mac :)

    JF Mezei, May 29, 2010