Streaming A Meeting with Slides and Archiving Meeting Afterward

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Daniel Juarez, Dec 21, 2005.

  1. Can anyone assist with some recommendations? I tried calling Apple and
    even talking to the "Creative Genius Bar" at the Apple store and have
    yet to get a good answer.

    What we need is the following:

    1) a way to stream a live company meeting (video and audio along with
    powerpoint slides)
    2) a way to watch that video after the live meeting is done via
    on-demand or by user request - ie. an archived version of it.

    I am aware of the built in QuickTime streaming server on OS X Server. I
    am also aware of QuickTime Broadcaster on the client. But, what I can't
    seem to find is something that will easily allow us to post slides along
    with the speaker on the video.

    This setup would be coming into an all Windows shop but three of us in
    IT want to introduce OS X to our environment. We thought this would be a
    perfect opportunity because it's video and audio - something I thought
    was the Mac's strong point. However, I am baffled at the lack of slide
    show/meeting/video/on-demand video options out there for the Mac. Maybe
    I am looking in the wrong place.

    Oh, the clients viewing the meetings would be running Windows XP but I
    figured they all probably have iTunes installed, thus they have
    QuickTime. :)

    Thanks for any tips!

    Daniel Juarez, Dec 21, 2005

  2. Hi Daniel,

    The people of MacEnterprise.org do webcasts on a regular basis. They show
    the speaker and the slides in a divided screen side by side.

    for an example see: http://macenterprise.org/content/view/177/42/

    Maybe if you contact them, they can tell you how they produce those webcasts
    and what you would need to accomplish a similar thing.

    Kind regards, Herlind

    Herlind Wurth, Dec 21, 2005

  3. Daniel Juarez

    AES Guest

    [/QUOTE]

    Four or five years ago I had a tour of a Silicon Valley startup that was
    developing software for streaming presentations (I suppose they were
    "canned", but built on an originally live presentation) that included,
    in a single on-screen window:

    1) "Talking head" of the speaker in one sub-window.

    2) Speaker's slides in another larger sub-window, synchronized to the
    talking head -- ***but you could also scan back and forward through the
    slides yourself, under mouse control, if you wanted to go back and look
    more carefully at something shown earlier, or jump ahead and see where
    the speaker was going***.

    3) A live browser capability in a third sub-window across the bottom of
    the main window, where you could read email or newsgroups or surf the
    Internet if the presentation wasn't grabbing you.

    It was absolutely lovely and seemed to work just fine -- but I think the
    company went under not long afterwards.

    AES, Dec 21, 2005
  4. Thanks for the tip, I'll check into it.

    Daniel Juarez, Dec 25, 2005