    and refuses to let me print individual pdf pages from within it and
    other Adobe-style headlocks.

    Any ideas?

    gtr, May 26, 2014

  2. In article <2014052614290486476-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr <> wrote:

    > Studying Logic Pro docu, I want to find a string, such as "delay in ms"
    > in Preview. I can't find a way to indicate a string; quotes, single
    > ticks, colons. It just searches willy-nilly for any/all of these
    > elements, and will even find "ms" as the conclusion of the word
    > probleMS.
    >
    > Is there any way to do a string search in Preview?
    >
    > Failing that, any convenient way to do string searches in a program
    > that will load pdf's?
    >
    > I find I can load the entire 1300 page document into Safari and a
    > handy-dandy version of Adobe will search for strings. It's pretty slow,
    > and refuses to let me print individual pdf pages from within it and
    > other Adobe-style headlocks.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    What's really annoying is that it also treats the "." in a decimal
    number as a word separator. One of my brokerage web sites downloads the
    monthly statement in PDF format. I can't search for a specific dollars
    and cents value -- it finds any mention of the dollar or cents value. So
    if I try to find 123.00, it will find all occurrences of "00" in the
    statement.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA

    Barry Margolin, May 27, 2014

  3. gtr

    gtr Guest

    On 2014-05-26 23:15:57 +0000, Barry Margolin said:

    > In article <2014052614290486476-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr <> wrote:
    >
    >> Studying Logic Pro docu, I want to find a string, such as "delay in ms"
    >> in Preview. I can't find a way to indicate a string; quotes, single
    >> ticks, colons. It just searches willy-nilly for any/all of these
    >> elements, and will even find "ms" as the conclusion of the word
    >> probleMS.
    >>
    >> Is there any way to do a string search in Preview?
    >>
    >> Failing that, any convenient way to do string searches in a program
    >> that will load pdf's?
    >>
    >> I find I can load the entire 1300 page document into Safari and a
    >> handy-dandy version of Adobe will search for strings. It's pretty slow,
    >> and refuses to let me print individual pdf pages from within it and
    >> other Adobe-style headlocks.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > What's really annoying is that it also treats the "." in a decimal
    > number as a word separator. One of my brokerage web sites downloads the
    > monthly statement in PDF format. I can't search for a specific dollars
    > and cents value -- it finds any mention of the dollar or cents value. So
    > if I try to find 123.00, it will find all occurrences of "00" in the
    > statement.

    Snooping around I find that I can do useful searches in a pdf with Skim
    which I found laying about in my application folder.It certainly loaded
    a 1300 page pdf in about a 10th the time it took Adobe's Reader to load
    it. It's free:

    http://skim-app.sourceforge.net

    Still, Preview is my default, it would be nice if it worked...

    gtr, May 27, 2014
  4. gtr

    Alan Baker Guest

    On 2014-05-26 21:29:04 +0000, gtr said:

    > Studying Logic Pro docu, I want to find a string, such as "delay in ms"
    > in Preview. I can't find a way to indicate a string; quotes, single
    > ticks, colons. It just searches willy-nilly for any/all of these
    > elements, and will even find "ms" as the conclusion of the word
    > probleMS.
    >
    > Is there any way to do a string search in Preview?
    >
    > Failing that, any convenient way to do string searches in a program
    > that will load pdf's?
    >
    > I find I can load the entire 1300 page document into Safari and a
    > handy-dandy version of Adobe will search for strings. It's pretty slow,
    > and refuses to let me print individual pdf pages from within it and
    > other Adobe-style headlocks.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Double quotes work for me.

    What version of Preview?

    Alan Baker, May 27, 2014
  5. gtr

    gtr Guest

    On 2014-05-27 02:54:46 +0000, Alan Baker said:

    > On 2014-05-26 21:29:04 +0000, gtr said:
    >
    >> Studying Logic Pro docu, I want to find a string, such as "delay in ms"
    >> in Preview. I can't find a way to indicate a string; quotes, single
    >> ticks, colons. It just searches willy-nilly for any/all of these
    >> elements, and will even find "ms" as the conclusion of the word
    >> probleMS.
    >>
    >> Is there any way to do a string search in Preview?
    >>
    >> Failing that, any convenient way to do string searches in a program
    >> that will load pdf's?
    >>
    >> I find I can load the entire 1300 page document into Safari and a
    >> handy-dandy version of Adobe will search for strings. It's pretty slow,
    >> and refuses to let me print individual pdf pages from within it and
    >> other Adobe-style headlocks.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > Double quotes work for me.
    >
    > What version of Preview?

    7.0

    I don't recall a time it did work.

    gtr, May 27, 2014
  6. gtr

    Alan Baker Guest

    On 2014-05-27 04:27:14 +0000, gtr said:

    > On 2014-05-27 02:54:46 +0000, Alan Baker said:
    >
    >> On 2014-05-26 21:29:04 +0000, gtr said:
    >>
    >>> Studying Logic Pro docu, I want to find a string, such as "delay in ms"
    >>> in Preview. I can't find a way to indicate a string; quotes, single
    >>> ticks, colons. It just searches willy-nilly for any/all of these
    >>> elements, and will even find "ms" as the conclusion of the word
    >>> probleMS.
    >>>
    >>> Is there any way to do a string search in Preview?
    >>>
    >>> Failing that, any convenient way to do string searches in a program
    >>> that will load pdf's?
    >>>
    >>> I find I can load the entire 1300 page document into Safari and a
    >>> handy-dandy version of Adobe will search for strings. It's pretty slow,
    >>> and refuses to let me print individual pdf pages from within it and
    >>> other Adobe-style headlocks.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?

    >> Double quotes work for me.
    >>
    >> What version of Preview?

    > 7.0
    >
    > I don't recall a time it did work.

    Then you've got something else going on, because it's always worked that way.

    Alan Baker, May 27, 2014
  7. gtr

    Lewis Guest

    In message <2014052614290486476-xxx@yyyzzz>
    gtr <> wrote:
    > Studying Logic Pro docu, I want to find a string, such as "delay in ms"
    > in Preview. I can't find a way to indicate a string; quotes, single
    > ticks, colons. It just searches willy-nilly for any/all of these
    > elements, and will even find "ms" as the conclusion of the word
    > probleMS.

    > Is there any way to do a string search in Preview?

    putting it in quotes works for me.

    I searched for: reduce energy in a pdf and got 3 hits. I searched for
    "reduce energy" and got one.

    --
    'What ho, b'zugda-hiara.' (Footnote: A killing insult in Dwarfish. It
    means 'Lawn ornament'.) --Wyrd Sisters

    Lewis, May 27, 2014
  8. gtr

    gtr Guest

    On 2014-05-27 04:49:11 +0000, Alan Baker said:

    > On 2014-05-27 04:27:14 +0000, gtr said:

    >>> Double quotes work for me.
    >>>
    >>> What version of Preview?

    >> 7.0
    >>
    >> I don't recall a time it did work.

    > Then you've got something else going on, because it's always worked that way.

    No one else has a problem with doing a string search in a pdf in
    Preview? Anyone? Anyone?

    I wonder what "something else" could be going on that would make
    Preview behave that way.

    gtr, May 27, 2014
  9. gtr

    Your Name Guest

    In article <2014052700061764456-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr <> wrote:
    > On 2014-05-27 05:18:55 +0000, Lewis said:
    > > In message <2014052614290486476-xxx@yyyzzz>
    > > gtr <> wrote:
    > >> Studying Logic Pro docu, I want to find a string, such as "delay in ms"
    > >> in Preview. I can't find a way to indicate a string; quotes, single
    > >> ticks, colons. It just searches willy-nilly for any/all of these
    > >> elements, and will even find "ms" as the conclusion of the word
    > >> probleMS.

    > >> Is there any way to do a string search in Preview?

    > > putting it in quotes works for me.
    > >
    > > I searched for: reduce energy in a pdf and got 3 hits. I searched for
    > > "reduce energy" and got one.

    > Very strange. It works for me now. Thanks for whatever y'all did that
    > made it begin working for the first time!

    No problem ... the spyware we installed on your computer will
    automatically forward $50 from your bank account to each of us here.
    ;-)

    For the gullible or humour-impaired: The winking smiley means that's
    just a JOKE!

    Your Name, May 27, 2014