    and refuses to let me print individual pdf pages from within it and
    other Adobe-style headlocks.

    Any ideas?

    gtr, May 26, 2014

  2. What's really annoying is that it also treats the "." in a decimal
    number as a word separator. One of my brokerage web sites downloads the
    monthly statement in PDF format. I can't search for a specific dollars
    and cents value -- it finds any mention of the dollar or cents value. So
    if I try to find 123.00, it will find all occurrences of "00" in the
    statement.

    Barry Margolin, May 27, 2014

  3. gtr

    gtr Guest

    Snooping around I find that I can do useful searches in a pdf with Skim
    which I found laying about in my application folder.It certainly loaded
    a 1300 page pdf in about a 10th the time it took Adobe's Reader to load
    it. It's free:

    http://skim-app.sourceforge.net

    Still, Preview is my default, it would be nice if it worked...

    gtr, May 27, 2014
  4. gtr

    Alan Baker Guest

    Double quotes work for me.

    What version of Preview?

    Alan Baker, May 27, 2014
  5. gtr

    gtr Guest

    7.0

    I don't recall a time it did work.

    gtr, May 27, 2014
  6. gtr

    Alan Baker Guest

    Then you've got something else going on, because it's always worked that way.

    Alan Baker, May 27, 2014
  7. gtr

    Lewis Guest

    putting it in quotes works for me.

    I searched for: reduce energy in a pdf and got 3 hits. I searched for
    "reduce energy" and got one.

    Lewis, May 27, 2014
  8. gtr

    gtr Guest

    No one else has a problem with doing a string search in a pdf in
    Preview? Anyone? Anyone?

    I wonder what "something else" could be going on that would make
    Preview behave that way.

    gtr, May 27, 2014
  9. gtr

    Your Name Guest

    No problem ... the spyware we installed on your computer will
    automatically forward $50 from your bank account to each of us here.
    ;-)

    For the gullible or humour-impaired: The winking smiley means that's
    just a JOKE!

    Your Name, May 27, 2014